omg fox attack

• 13 Replies

ganner

• Dorset
omg fox attack
« on: March 27, 2012, 04:38 »
Just got up early 3.30, put the kettle on to hear a awful noise i thought it was dogs, cant be,then i went out, its rockie in the field shouting, feathers all round him i cant see any visible signs of blood, hes not moving though, eyes still open ive picked him up & put in the hutch only to count 8 girls,..... no blueie or goldie omg there bye the fence/hedge broken necks, blood all over STILL WARM OOOO, i fell terrible as it was me that forgot to shut them in after watching footie I forgot all about it ohohoh. just hope rockie be ok he dose not look good. :(   

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
Re: omg fox attack
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 06:14 »
Oh dear.  Auto pop hole £100 - need not happen again.
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

ganner

• Dorset
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 07:22 »
Rockie is staggering around his head is on the floor he has come out, did I ought to pop him to the vets? or do they shake it off after a while, is there a pick me up I can give him?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 11:43 »
if there is no visible signs of a broken bone or large gash in his skin the best thing you can do is place him somewhere quiet and restrict his movements. I use a very large cat carrier but a small dog pen would also be suitable. Give him some food in a low bowl (I tend to just feed them mixed corn in this situation to help encourage them to eat) and some fresh water with either a tonic added to it or Critical Care formula mixed in. You can also use Rescue Remedy for pets which is a herbal mixture. 
Check for any small puncture wounds and clean those up. Keep an eye on them to make sure they don't become infected. If you have any wound powder sprinkle that on as that is antibacterial.
Sorry for your loss and leaving the pop hole open is something that most of us have done at some stage - I have even been known to suddenly remember and have to get up in the middle of the night to go and check.
It sounds like he was doing a sterling job of trying to protect his ladies so give him a special cuddle.
Staffies are softer than you think.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 13:23 »
 :(  Sorry for your loss ganner, I hope that Rockie makes a quick recovery.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

ganner

• Dorset
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 14:47 »
He`s still hanging in there poor chap look very stressed, I have put him in the dog box (cage) with his water & corn just don't seam interested, though if I call him he picks his head up as much as he can, i put him back in with the girls tonight, thank you all very much for your help   

kegs

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 15:31 »
Sorry to hear about the attack Ganner.

You've mentioned a couple of times about Rockie's neck hanging down.  If you suspect damage (or as Joyfull said any broken bones) of any sort even if there aren't any wounds then maybe a trip to your vet might be in order if you think he could cope with the journey.  I hope he recovers soon.

ganner

• Dorset
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 18:01 »
he dose bring it up with struggle I will give him the night & see him in the morning, if he still with us I will get the daughter to pop him in the vets  :(

ganner

• Dorset
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 18:11 »
Yesterday b4 the attack, can anyone tell me what breed he is?
Resized.jpg
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 13:23 by ganner »

Cluckyclaire

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 19:21 »
 :ohmy: sorry to hear about this such a shame, i think we have had a fox prowling here last couple of nights so i am not sleeping well.

Hope Rockie is ok and makes it through, he is a Crele type colour, not sure what breed though, i have one Crele orpington hen but she is not as red as Rockie, he is lovely, hope he gets better soon

All the best

Claire

ganner

• Dorset
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2012, 10:07 »
Update on rockie is he looking better than a couple of days ago staggering around, a lot better, picks his head up to drink & eat, still looking sorry for himself as it would be expected.  ::)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2012, 19:55 »
Glad to hear he is improving.   ;)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2012, 20:14 »
sounds like he is on the mend, so pleased  :D

RigsVilleBird

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2012, 20:42 »
 :D :D :D
I am so glad to hear he is on the mend, lots of tlc and I am sure he will be fine.  What a great job he did protecting his ladies.xxx

sad
Dog attack

Started by judrop on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post March 06, 2010, 15:42
by Hayley'sHens
xx
Fox attack

Started by geri on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post March 30, 2009, 15:34
by 8doubles
xx
fox attack

Started by craig1981 on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post September 27, 2011, 08:02
by shetan
xx
Fox attack?

Started by bantam novice on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 19, 2015, 08:31
by Sassy

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 40 queries.