Sweetcorn??

• 6 Replies

Missy1970

• Experienced Member
Sweetcorn??
« on: May 12, 2010, 11:02 »
Morning All

After my first lot of sweetcorn went mouldy whilst chitting I decided to sow direct in toilet roll tubes did this the weekend and upon checking today I notice the rolls had a fur growing on them and a few had it growing on the compost so i decided to transplant them into pots as its going to be some time before they go out -  trouble is when I did this I noticed whilst the corns had chitted some where a little furry is this normal and ok or should I just go buy some more seeds???

Thanks
Missy

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Sweetcorn??
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 11:34 »
Toilet roll tubes do go furry, as can the surface of the compost if kept a bit too moist.

They would probably have been fine as they were, but having turfed the poor things out I would suggest you discard any dodgy looking ones and replace with new seed. On a warm sunny windowsill they should be through in 5-7 days; mine usually are!  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

dig4victory

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 11:39 »
My first lot of corn sowings  ended with mixed results - just a few seem ok, most shoots seem to be browning and looking jaded, droopy and dying, frankly - I have no idea what has gone wrong - anyone any ideas?  They have been started the same way as always in our mini greenhouses.  Am going to sew a new lot today and hope for better luck this time.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 11:45 »
Dig4victory, you have not put your location in your personal profile so we don't know where you live but assuming you live somewhere in the UK I would say that they are suffering from fluctuating temperatures and/or the cold.

Mini-greenhouses heat up and cool down much quicker than larger ones (or indoors, of course), and sweetcorn really are not good at standing up to that sort of treatment.

dig4victory

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 11:52 »
Home Counties, down South!
I think you are right JayG - thinking about it I probably bought them out into the normal air because the weather was looking so good then put them back at night etc....thanks for that - the next lot I'm sowing today can stay in the greenhouse.  That usually works for me - don't know why I changed it!

dig4victory

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 15:24 »
I just sowed my next lot of corn and emptied the old compost plugs into a bucket to reuse, and I sorted through each plug while dumping out - I noticed that most of the corn had a good root(s) growing but no sprout and some had neither - I wonder if I sowed them too deep......anyway, fingers crossed for this time.

Btw, the phone rang while I was planting so I went in and had a conversation leaving the corn just popped into the finger holes I had made - I came out to find pigeons had nicked the corn from the holes!!!!  Cheek  :dry:

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 15:42 »
Corn seed suppliers will be doing well by you this year, dig4victory  :D

As said, corn needs relatively stable temps, more to the warm side than anything as they are a hot weather crop like zucchini, cukes, aubergines, etc. Corn likes some moisture but not too much so it sounds like you've been a bit heavy on the watering as well. The loo rolls of late have a construction glue that is more prone to rot so watering lightly from below is the best method.

xx
Sweetcorn

Started by Flying Cyril on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post January 13, 2007, 22:16
by shaun
xx
sweetcorn

Started by blackisgreen on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post October 27, 2009, 16:22
by tode
xx
How is your sweetcorn??

Started by Hampshire Hog on Grow Your Own

57 Replies
Last post August 15, 2012, 15:25
by Wellpotty1
xx
Sweetcorn

Started by AnnieMay on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 03, 2009, 22:42
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.367 seconds with 40 queries.