Some Ideas Please!

• 32 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Some Ideas Please!
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2009, 13:49 »
While we`re on the weird veg does anybody grow `walking onions` and are they good to eat or just for novelty value.

I think they are just one variety of perennial onions that the old boys grew, so that they were never without an onion. Like welsh onions and all the others, the leaves are a bit course and the bulbs small, but they are ok for stews etc if you have nothing else.
The other advantage is not having to buy seed :)

8doubles

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2009, 15:34 »
While we`re on the weird veg does anybody grow `walking onions` and are they good to eat or just for novelty value.

I think they are just one variety of perennial onions that the old boys grew, so that they were never without an onion. Like welsh onions and all the others, the leaves are a bit course and the bulbs small, but they are ok for stews etc if you have nothing else.
The other advantage is not having to buy seed :)

Ta for that Mumofstig, that`s another plant on the might try list. :)

Christine

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2009, 15:43 »
I believe in trying something new every year.  I thought I'd try celery next year - not exciting but something I've not tried before.

Pink Fir Apple potatoes are fun - good in salads.  Yellow courgettes are good. Kohl rabi (look like aliens) were the trial this year.  Might have a go with celeriac along with the celery.

binner

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2009, 17:01 »
im growing everything new this year, well next now. its my first year and everything i planted was eated by the birds, bugs and rabbits  :lol: :lol: :lol: except the tatties but even they seem to have a bit of wire worm :(

o well roll on next season. i know what im doing now............................................................

he says :nowink:
first year grower

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2009, 17:09 »
Oh next season is always going to be the one Binner  ;)  I spend many a happy winter evening with a glass of wine, surrounded by seed catalogues and veg books planning my perfick allotment.  It's the execution of it that escapes me sometimes   :lol:

I tried potato onions this year and was impressed enough to save seed for next year. Also got the walking onions courtesy of a swapsie with another forum member.  My other wild card this year was Oca and that was a total disaster. Planted 6 large tubers, dug them up today and have got naught - how's that work then  :unsure:

New shoot  :)

binner

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2009, 17:17 »
hahaha i know what you mean, i have sat here too with a nice drawing of my plot with the perfect beds all marked out, whats going where, then i sat down with the seed book too, just going to order my seed tats this week, everything else is on order,
its going to be perfect, o yes

eye of course it blooming is hahah :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2009, 17:35 »
eye of course it * is hahah

Maybe :)...just maybe....you never know your luck.
Then just when you think you've worked it all right ......the next year something (usually the weather :mad:) changes and it's back to square 1.

It must be much easier to grow veg when you know exactly what climate you have, rather than our infinitely variable one.
Don't you just love it. :lol:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2009, 17:45 »
Would also be a lot easier if the veg read the back of seed packet about how it's supposed to be.

My slug resistant early tatties failed to register that fact on their packet. My dwarf peas clearly paid no notice of the max height they were supposed to be and don't even start me on my mini compact cucumber  :ohmy:  Last seen climbing out of the roof vent of the greenhouse on it's way to world domination  ::)

No regard to my nice neat plans whatsoever  :lol: :lol: :lol:

DrBill

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2009, 17:55 »
My other wild card this year was Oca and that was a total disaster. Planted 6 large tubers, dug them up today and have got naught - how's that work then  :unsure:

New shoot  :)

Hi New Shoot - I am growing occa too - I got some tubers off my dad. I know it's too late for you this year - but you are supposed to wait for about a week after they have died back once it has been frosty. Apparently they form the tubers really late and they only swell when the energy from the plant goes into them as it dies back.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2009, 18:13 »
Now that is what is known as my luck  :lol:

To be fair, they had just about died off and there was still a whole lot of nothing down there, so I guess they did not appreciate my soil. 

Thanks DrBill - hope you do better than I did  :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2009, 18:20 »
DrBill - to quote somone's post or part thereof, simply hit the "quote"  button instead of the "reply" button & the whole orihonal post will be quoted. Just delete what you don't want in the quote before typing your reply & submitting.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

m1ckz

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2009, 03:27 »
id love a poly tunnel,   where can i get some poly tunnel seeds,    ive got room for a large one :tongue2: :tongue2:

Potiron

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2009, 03:52 »
id love a poly tunnel,   where can i get some poly tunnel seeds,    ive got room for a large one :tongue2: :tongue2:

Ask Sam on Lewis.   ::)
Ears and Eyes open, Gob shut.

Hoodsie

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2009, 15:59 »
Lucylike i grew yellow beets this year they werent as nice as the red.

I going to try red sweetcorn i'm having sent to me looking forward to that
Time wounds all heels

teabreak

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2009, 23:33 »
Two unusual crops. Mooli, the Asian radish. It is white and very big, up to about a foot long. also Kohl rabbi. Both are absolutely delicious as raw salad. the mooli was a surprise as it is milder than French breakfast and other red raddish.

xx
any ideas please??

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 02, 2011, 15:36
by whiskywill
xx
No dig and other 'new' ideas...

Started by Fishplate42 on Grow Your Own

40 Replies
Last post January 22, 2021, 13:03
by bobbyt
xx
Any different ideas anyone?

Started by Aidy on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post February 02, 2021, 04:00
by Snowboar
xx
Ideas

Started by Peduk on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 16, 2006, 06:46
by supersprout

Page created in 0.328 seconds with 37 queries.