Bullying drake

• 3 Replies

Shell1553

Bullying drake
« on: February 26, 2019, 07:11 »
Hi everyone!

I currently have 4 ducks and a drake. I’ve had the ducks over a year and 4 month ago adopted a drake to save him.

Everything was going smoothly and everyone was getting on well until now...

lately my drake has taken a huge dislike to one of the girls, it’s got so bad that now he won’t let her eat or drink and if she goes anywhere near it she gets attacked. If she tries to go near the other girls she gets attacked. So all day every day she just wanders round the garden all alone. She’s missing quite a few feathers now around her body.

Before anyone suggests it he’s not trying to mate with her, he mates with the other girls but not her just constantly attacks her in a vicious way.

The only time she gets to get close with the other girls now is if I put the drake in the enclosure alone.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated
E102BCDF-68C2-4BF9-8C80-54A9D893FB39.jpeg

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Bullying drake
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 10:42 »
I've never kept ducks, so can be of limited help, but I would suggest supplying extra feeding and drinking spots.  Its very difficult to guard multiple places, even for a bossy drake (or in my case grumpy old hen).

Other than penning the drake alone for a while to break the habit, I'm not sure what you can do, other than re-home him or her  :unsure:

Shell1553

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 12:49 »
They’ve got a couple of feeders in different parts of the garden but doesn’t matter which one she goes to if he sees her he’s attacks her.
I’m going to try separating them. Would you separate at night time too?
Thanks for replying

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 20:35 »
Hi Shell,

If it were a bully hen, I would try total separation for a couple of weeks.  I assume that as a drake, spring has sprung and all that, so it might be a bit cruel.

Maybe try it and if he gets distressed, allow him limited access to the girls.  Hens eat most first thing in the morning and just before they go to bed, so that is the most important time to ensure everyone gets to eat and drink in peace.   As long as she gets that time, your duck might be OK with keeping her distance over the day.

Your other option would be to put her in the enclosure with one of the other ducks as company.  That would mean she could relax all day.

xx
Bullying Drake

Started by ynysmonron on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 04, 2010, 17:15
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Drake and chicks.

Started by orchardlady on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 21, 2011, 09:09
by joyfull
xx
Dead Drake :(

Started by Liv on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 27, 2010, 20:09
by Liv
xx
Suspicious Drake

Started by Prod on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 06, 2013, 20:37
by Kate and her Ducks

Page created in 0.234 seconds with 40 queries.