What I did in the Greenhouse or Polytunnel today

• 400 Replies

Lardman

Re: What I did in the Greenhouse or Polytunnel today
« Reply #360 on: February 10, 2019, 20:18 »
Cleaned out the bottom GH today. All the dead material gone and the beds turned over. I don't really want to add any more compost to them and there's no chicken poo to use this year. I might have to resort the BFB and growmore.  :ohmy: I'm hoping to do better with the salads and peppers in there this year.

I switched to a bait box in the top GH and something has eaten 15 poison blocks so far  :ohmy: I'm going to have to buy more, but at this point I don't know if I'm killing them or fattening them up  ::)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #361 on: February 23, 2019, 09:33 »
Cleaned out the bottom GH today. All the dead material gone and the beds turned over. I don't really want to add any more compost to them and there's no chicken poo to use this year. I might have to resort the BFB and growmore.  :ohmy: I'm hoping to do better with the salads and peppers in there this year.

I switched to a bait box in the top GH and something has eaten 15 poison blocks so far  :ohmy: I'm going to have to buy more, but at this point I don't know if I'm killing them or fattening them up  ::)

Our local rat catcher advised me to wait for a wek after the biat has ben taken, to allow it to kill the culprits. If you put more down atrigth away the same rats/mice will eat that lot to. I now use snappy traps inside the tunnels which does keep the mouse numbers down

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Lardman

« Reply #362 on: February 23, 2019, 19:37 »
Makes sense, I'll give them a break from it as they've eaten another 15 blocks since I posted that.  :ohmy: I tried the snap traps, the rats dragged off the mouse trap (it was staked down but the sand I call soil didn't help) I found the trap but the retaining clip was lost and the mice eat the bait off the rat trap without springing it.  :mad: Whilst pottering about up there today I did consider putting a mesh skirt around the base to stop them digging in as I did with the chicken run.

Lardman

« Reply #363 on: March 07, 2019, 08:26 »
Bottom GH
Had to resow the lettuce, the hot and cold of recent weeks had pretty much done for it.
Garlic is up and growing fast by the glass fingers crossed on that this year.
Scattered a few slug pellets after finding some lurking in seed trays.
Water the figs
Water the grafted apples
... just about everything I could find to avoid cleaning the glass  :nowink:

Top GH
Tipped the ants out of the bait traps  :mad:

Offwego

• Experienced Member
« Reply #364 on: June 28, 2019, 20:21 »
Cut back the nettles I allow to grow in one corner, cut them up smaller mixed with comfrey and submersed in a bucket for 4 weeks
Great free plant food
By the time the mix will be ready the nettles will have grown back ——- simples

MrsPea

« Reply #365 on: April 09, 2020, 18:50 »
Took bubble wrap down and put shading up on greenhouse  :D, greenhouse had a wash first  :)
I Love my green house

Goosegirl

« Reply #366 on: February 06, 2021, 15:06 »
"Finished" digging out all the mare's tail in my newly inherited greenhouse; I say finished because I'm sure there'll be lots more that were too deep to get out plus a few snapped when I tried to pull them out by the bed edges.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

The Persistent Novice

« Reply #367 on: February 14, 2021, 19:09 »
Sowed three rows of peas in lengths of guttering suspended in the tunnel. Once they are of a suitable size they will be moved into the bed outside. Also planted up two 42ltr buckets with some left over Maris Piper tubers to see if I can get a head start on my potatoes this year, first year with the tunnel so it’s all a bit of an experiment at the moment. Bound to be some highs and lows, will endeavour to keep a record here.
D0897104-49C7-40A6-9ADD-AECC8C1A7302.jpeg

Lardman

« Reply #368 on: March 24, 2021, 20:14 »
I'm sure this thread is here just so I can complain about having to clear the GH's around this time of year  ::)

I started today as they're in a terribly neglected state but it was getting rather warm in there  :ohmy: by the time I'd carried the bags of compost in I was ready for a quick nap.

snowdrops

« Reply #369 on: March 24, 2021, 20:56 »
Today I sowed more seeds, no where caught up but at least I’m getting some done :)
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Lardman

« Reply #370 on: April 06, 2021, 07:56 »
2 (1 long and the short) sides of the bottom GH cleared and some chicken pooh mixed in. I found 2 self set plants which could either be tomatillio or physalis anyone know how to tell the difference without waiting 4 months  ::)

I've not sown a seed yet and I'm getting twitchy. 

Lardman

« Reply #371 on: April 14, 2021, 10:45 »
Finished the final side border of the bottom GH this morning. It needs a really good soaking a few times now. It's getting really late and I need to get some seeds started ! I normally keep the top GH for peppers but it's too late to start them now I might look at putting things like french beans instead in there.

rowlandwells

« Reply #372 on: April 14, 2021, 19:23 »
the wife has been potting on our newly arrived   bedding  plants 9 trays so i was dragged into sorting pots and trays still potting on  :D also have our own seedlings coming on stream I managed to prick out some brassicas and other veg plants before the bedding came

also prior to all that I had to put shading on the greenhouses the last shading we bought was around £60 quid for 50mt its now gone up to £71quid +delivery £10 cost around £80 quid basically the same from screwfix £44.99 collected  ::) so its that busy time again  :D

Lardman

« Reply #373 on: April 15, 2021, 20:46 »
Finally seeds in compost  :D A few pots of sweetpeas and some toms in the propagator and some lettuce om the bench. I can't find any of the cos type packets though, I must have put them somewhere safe last year.

snowdrops

« Reply #374 on: April 16, 2021, 14:34 »
Yesterday we did this  :lol:
And today some idiot thought it was a good idea to take delivery of 3 tonnes of mulch to go in there & in the fruit cage :nowink:
We’re now  broken  :D
8CA525A2-1ADF-43DF-B1F6-FBFE4A000105.jpeg
ADAE94A9-B884-4E53-90CB-37719CEB1AE9.jpeg

xx
Polytunnel vs greenhouse.

Started by Kate and her Ducks on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

9 Replies
Last post November 23, 2012, 00:54
by John
xx
Greenhouse V Polytunnel?

Started by fallen angel on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

13 Replies
Last post February 21, 2016, 19:02
by BabbyAnn
xx
Polytunnel or Greenhouse

Started by ches on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post July 02, 2019, 08:38
by sunshineband
xx
Greenhouse or Polytunnel?

Started by Clarky86 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post August 31, 2017, 21:13
by grinling

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 54 queries.