Cheap glass

• 6 Replies

janiejakemum

• Experienced Member
Cheap glass
« on: May 08, 2009, 09:03 »
Hello everyone

We are in the process of deciding to buy/make a greenhouse - i think realy we should make one because we have a small irregular shape but i am trying to source cheap ish materials.  I thought buying horticultural glass would be quite cheap but i dont know if im just looking in the wrong place but £2 for a 2 foot pane seems quite a lot to me?

I think we will use heavy plastic on one end ( where the children have access to) then glass the remainder - if i cant find any cheap glass i think we may end up with heavy duty plastic all round.  Also need to build the structure from 2" posts.

Any ideas on the cheapest place to purchase this from - might save me some hours of trawling the net.

Many thanks
Emma

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Cheap glass
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 15:32 »
I don't know, sorry, but I don't think you're the first person to have asked this question, might be worth doing a search on the forum (quicker than searching the web!)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Gwiz

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 19:05 »
I reckon £2's pretty cheap.
You wouldn't get it for that around here..... >:(

savbo

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 10:49 »
freecycle is good - we've got pretty much a greenhouse worth in 2 collections...

janiejakemum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 09:42 »
A decision has been made at last............  Because we have 2 young kiddies we have decided to go for the cheaper easier option of heavy duty plastic sheet (on a roll) that way we dont need to worry about the frame being exact, we are planning on doing 2 layers with a 4 inch gap in between so help keep a bit warmer in the winter, i think i read that on here somewhere, bit worried about blocking out light but the thread i read was saying theres much more to gain having the insulation layer.

I think next weekend we will do it - hopefully.

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 09:56 »
A decision has been made at last............  Because we have 2 young kiddies we have decided to go for the cheaper easier option of heavy duty plastic sheet (on a roll) that way we dont need to worry about the frame being exact, we are planning on doing 2 layers with a 4 inch gap in between so help keep a bit warmer in the winter, i think i read that on here somewhere, bit worried about blocking out light but the thread i read was saying theres much more to gain having the insulation layer.

I think next weekend we will do it - hopefully.

Go for it! One word of warning, though (hope it's not 'telling Granny yo suck eggs...). Make sure that there are no winds like those recently or you could end up in the next parish! Also, I suggest at least three people to work on it (one to make the tea?). good luck!

janiejakemum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 19:44 »
3 people fine actually there are 4 of us.  Two adults a 2 and a 4 year old, cant wait.................................

wireless
greenhouse no glass

Started by compoQ on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post May 26, 2010, 19:29
by compoQ
xx
Greenhouse needs glass

Started by Njal on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post February 16, 2009, 20:30
by beansticks
xx
greenhouse glass

Started by AK9 on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post December 10, 2014, 20:58
by jezza
xx
Greenhouse glass

Started by Fluff on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post February 25, 2009, 17:04
by si-mate

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 38 queries.