New to this forum? Not sure how to do things? Check out the help

Another Newbie. Highlands

• 8 Replies

alcudia60

Another Newbie. Highlands
« on: May 09, 2016, 18:52 »
Hi all. We just got our first allotment. I'm not very green fingered. My Grandfather was head Gardner for Pilkington glass and my Dad is an obsessive veg and flower grower.
I'm rebelled and now regret it.
Anyway. Most sites offer Great advice. However, they are aimed at the borders and southern regions.
Its a virgin plot in reclaimed woodland.
Apart from Tatties, what would be best to grow this far north. The soil has a little clay and is 100m2.
Cant wait to get started but I don't want my girls disappointed when things fail.
Thanks.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Another Newbie. Highlands
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 19:45 »
Hello and welcome  :)

I can't offer you much growing advice being a long, long way south of you, but I'm sure someone closer will be along to offer advice.

alcudia60

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 19:51 »
Hello and welcome  :)

I can't offer you much growing advice being a long, long way south of you, but I'm sure someone closer will be along to offer advice.
Thankyou. I hope someone can offer some advice. I'm doing it for my family really. I'm fed up with tec gadgets. My girls and partner are born and bred up here. I'm originally from the north west of England. Dads advice is fantastic, but all his experience is based down there.
The best bit of advice so far. Buy a tiller. Check. Collect seaweed. Not checked.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 21:36 »
Welcome to the site and congrats on your new allotment.  If you add your general location to your forum profile, people will remember whereabouts you are, and it helps when comparing / discussing growing conditions.

Have you looked at your neighbours' plots and chatted to them?  They are likely to be your best source of information about what works and doesn't.

Aim for varieties of things that are branded as early, because they are likely to have the shortest growing season and so you'll probably still get a harvest if you sow/plant when safe to do so in your temperatures.

You're unlikely to be able to grow anything too tropical in origin, as you may not have the heat.

Also consider whether you'll need a windbreak if you get cold winds across the site.

NB.  It is not legal to collect seaweed from the sea shore unless you have the landowner's permission:
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=86170.0
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 21:38 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

alcudia60

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 09:17 »
Once again thankyou.
As were in a very rural location. 50 miles north of inverness. We are quite restricted on what we can grow. No pineapple up here.
A local farm has donated seed potatoes for us along with a mound of well rotted manure.
As the ground was originally a pine forest, the first year for me will be ground preparation for next year.
As the tatties are available I'll probably make use of a few of these.
At the moment the " allotments " are just a cleared field. No water etc. No amenities at all.
Not even a fence in sight.
I'll be up today with the tiller, clearing rocks and roots and digging the manure in.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 18:27 »
If you plan on growing anything that prefers alkaline soil (e.g. brassicas), it might be worth checking the pH of the soil across the plot first.  Pine needles are commonly added to make soil more acidic, so over time they may well have had this effect.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 23:01 »
Hi there and welcome!

Like New Shoot I am a long way to the south of you, but the crops I think of as "northern" are leeks, brassicas including swede (neeps), parsnips, carrots and broad beans, plus of course salad leaves in the Summer.  My MUm was brought up in Kilwinning and those are veg she mentioned growing as a child.

There are quite  few Scottish growers on here who no doubt will be able to help you further.

If you add your locality into your profile so it shows under your name, it will mean other members realise your northern position when responding to any queries you may have.

Oh, forgot raspberries and gooseberries too!
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

alcudia60

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 20:38 »
When I get the chance to pry the laptop from our 16 year old I'll update my profile location

For now. I'm in a little village named Embo, 3 miles north of Dornoch. Dornoch is famed as the last site for hanging witches in Scotland and the fact that Madonna had one of her kids christened here. Possibly a link between the two.
Unfortunately the weather isn't good for the rest of the week.
I' ll have to put up with my fantastic crop of rocks for another week. Don't want to break the tiller on its first outing from the garden. :D

micou

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 13:11 »
Hi from even further north  :D

xx
Newbie in the Highlands

Started by Thrifty Chiffchaff on Welcome to the Forums

4 Replies
Last post April 22, 2022, 13:25
by Thrifty Chiffchaff
xx
Hello from the Highlands

Started by Chris Smith on Welcome to the Forums

3 Replies
Last post June 23, 2020, 21:25
by basketcase
xx
Hello All! Newbie here!!

Started by J3FF0RD on Welcome to the Forums

7 Replies
Last post May 28, 2015, 18:29
by Yorkie
smiley

Started by Mini Digger on Welcome to the Forums

9 Replies
Last post June 19, 2020, 18:07
by Subversive_plot

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 39 queries.