Could you describe how to push a prolapse in please

• 5 Replies

henamoured

• Experienced Member
Could you describe how to push a prolapse in please
« on: March 16, 2013, 17:36 »
Just noticed a prolapse in my Orpington who has just come in to lay. She's about 1 year old.

Going to giver her a soak and clean and put some Prep H on it tonight. Will be try pushing it back in tomorrow if it goes down by then. It's about the size of a finger end at the moment and protrudes about 1cm. Do you just lubricate and squash it back in?

Will come back later as must go and soak her before it gets dark now.

henamoured

• Experienced Member
Re: Could you describe how to push a prolapse in please
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 19:51 »
Hen bath done. I'd forgotton how much they enjoy the warm water and my Orp, Diamond particularly liked the hairdyer  :D I took the laptop into the shed and we both watched Gardner's World while she was in the bath :D

I've cleaned all round the vent area and it looks a lot better. Got some hemerrhoid cream (the things you do for your hens  :wacko: ) and have put that on and left her in a box overnight in the shed.

So we'll see how she is the morning.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 21:39 »
You have done the right thing in keeping her away from the other hens.  If they catch sight of the prolapse there will be a pecking frenzie.  I hope the cream works and she can join the others soon.   ;)

I have read that people have used sugar to shrink the prolapse.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Elvira

• Experienced Member
  • Doodles just doing what they do best...
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 22:04 »
Sorry - shouldn't laugh (poor Diamond) but I love your description of you both watching Gardener's World while she was in the bath. Hope she is better soon (ouch) and you picked up some good gardening tips  :D

ehs284

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 19:36 »
If it's clean and not far out, I wouldn't push it in. If needed then: lubricate your fingers and the vent area with the cream you have and sprinkle on some sugar. Gently push from the side of the protrusion until it moves into the vent. Keep moving your fingers in until you feel the prolapse hold itself in. If after a couple of tries it isn't staying in then leave until tomorrow. Pat area with sugar and keep chook warm and quiet on her own.

henamoured

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 19:38 »
Good news, went in this morning and it's popped back in. There was no sign of it. It still looks a bit red round the vent but I had to trim some of the feathers last night they were so dirty so that doesn't help the red appearance.
I put her back in with the others today with antipeck purple stuff on her rear but I've taken her out again this eve.
She hasn't laid since she came out, although I'm not sure if she did this morning. Need to see if it stays in after she lays. Fingers crossed. I've put more cream on tonight just in case things are a bit inflamed still inside where I can't see. (Hasten to add I do wear medical gloves).

Thanks EHS. I hope it's gone for good, but it's just as well to know how to do it if necessary.

I can see how sugar would be anti-inflammatory ANHBUC, although I think the grittiness might be a bit uncomfortable. Honey might work as well - they used to use it for wounds I think.

Hi Elvira - it did feel funny to be watching GW, but I know from past experience how boring it is to sit holding a hen in a bath for 30 mins otherwise. I'm sure Diamond watched too, I think she particularly liked the music :)

xx
Hunkering Down (thats how I'd describe it anyways)

Started by Bigblacktaximan on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 05, 2009, 14:27
by Bigblacktaximan
xx
A chicken thats to posh to push.

Started by Beano on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 15, 2009, 13:30
by Beano
xx
Hen prolapse

Started by Bubbles5 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 29, 2021, 08:53
by New shoot
xx
prolapse in hen

Started by darcyhen on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 19, 2010, 22:56
by darcyhen

Page created in 0.245 seconds with 33 queries.