Does straw go off?

• 7 Replies

SusieB

• Experienced Member
Does straw go off?
« on: March 16, 2013, 14:11 »
Does straw go off?  I am getting some new chickens.  I have some straw from last year, possibly a year old.  Is it ok to use, or would it be safer to buy fresh?  It's  been keep in a dry cellar.  I have discovered a major rat problem, loads of droppings, right where the straw is kept.  Is this another reason to get rid of the straw?

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
Re: Does straw go off?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 14:19 »
I would rather be safe than sorry as straw can harbour mould spores that could cause respiratory problems to your new chooks. Also you might me better using some sort of shaving like hemcore / beddex but thats just my opinion. Also lots of people favour miscanthus ( think thats what its called) over straw as less problems. Good luck with the new chooks

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 15:15 »
Thank you, I'm very excited about getting them!  I will get rid of the straw.  I also have a bag of Hemacore which could be a year old, does that have similar risk of mould, shall I dump that too?

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 15:30 »
I would buy new. You can use the old hemcore and straw for either composting, or for filling raised beds, or rubble sacks (which I use as raised beds)

You want fresh dry Hemcore, Easibed, Aubiose and fresh clean straw for your girls. The hemcore etc gets a light sprinkling of water from the watering can before introducing your girls. The instructions for use are on the bag so please have a good read  :)  All the dirty bedding can go in the compost bin or raised beds. Because of all the poo in it, it will need to be left for a while as it's very powerful stuff and will scorch seedlings and young plants.  Leave it to compost for a bit and then it's really good stuff. 

snow white

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 13:32 »
Compostqueen

When you say "a bit", how long do you mean?  A year? or less?

:)

yaxley

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 18:56 »
Easier to be safe than sorry and buy new and sort the major rat problem as they will infect your new bedding and not good if your going to have chickens ..
Grow organic as nature intended

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 19:43 »
Yes, good point.  I thought the rats had gone, but I have new droppings.  My cat is keen to go down the cellar, I think he must have seen them.  Don't know whether to let him, or whether he's at risk.  I think I need a 'cat' forum now!

Prod

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 08:59 »
I use chopped straw with eucalyptus  It keeps really fresh and has a great smell :D

xx
Hay or straw?

Started by Tattyanne456 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 24, 2009, 19:12
by Catsmuvva
xx
Hay or Straw

Started by derekwendy on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post November 16, 2009, 16:10
by beulah59
xx
using straw

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post September 29, 2009, 17:25
by karlooben
xx
straw or hay............

Started by Lorie on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 22, 2010, 18:50
by karlooben

Page created in 0.269 seconds with 38 queries.