Another plant(2) ID please :)

• 8 Replies

MattHB

Another plant(2) ID please :)
« on: February 24, 2013, 15:06 »
On my newly inherited plot there's this.. It has a frame work over it so I'm presuming its something like black current?

I read on another thread that if you rub the bark it should smell like the fruit, but it doesn't.

Any help appreciated, plus any advice on how to care for it. It looks neglected so I'd appreciate some words about pruning.

Also have lots of this.  I think it's raspberry but I'm not sure. There's lots of it with a support frame over it.  Again it looks neglected and a bit dense.  So any advice would be appreciated. (Sorry about the rubbish photo, the camera insisted on focusing the background)

Many thanks.

snowdrops

Re: Another plant(2) ID please :)
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 15:12 »
Yes looks like raspberry,the green stems need leaving for this years fruit,the brown ones need cutting to the ground,they fruited last year.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

MattHB

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 15:18 »
Yes looks like raspberry,the green stems need leaving for this years fruit,the brown ones need cutting to the ground,they fruited last year.

Many thanks :) are they both raspberry?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 15:50 »
I'd double check the first clump to see whether you've got any bramble stems in there.  You may not have, but they often sneak up where you're not looking  :blink:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Ema

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 16:28 »
to me and I'm no expert the first looks like rasberries. are there tiny spikes as the bottom of the stems?

The second 1 looks different less straight I'm not sure what it could be. It looks quite happy and has started to grown I would probably leave it be and just mulch around the base with Sao e well rotted manure

MattHB

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 16:58 »
I'd double check the first clump to see whether you've got any bramble stems in there.  You may not have, but they often sneak up where you're not looking  :blink:

Thanks all :) ill see to the raspberry's and clear the ground around the plants. That's the next job on my list.

There are definitely brambles creeping up on everything! The whole site was full of bramble by the looks of it. That's going to be an ongoing battle me-thinks.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 17:06 »
The first one might be a clump forming raspberry. It does not look like a currant. If it has fairly long shoots, it could be  a logan berry

If you prune out everything old looking right down to the ground ie everything which looks as though it has got peely bits on it, including those that have been part chopped down already, then give it  adecent feed, it will have a chance of flowering this year. Then you will see exactyl what it is. Any long growth that you are keeping would need to be tied up to support  it

The other one looks like a raspberry too. It may be a summer fruiting sort, so if you cut out everything that looks old and lightish coloured (but not green or then healthy brown looking colour), it should flower around end of May, early June I should hope.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 17:08 by sunshineband »
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

MattHB

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 18:20 »
The first one might be a clump forming raspberry. It does not look like a currant. If it has fairly long shoots, it could be  a logan berry

If you prune out everything old looking right down to the ground ie everything which looks as though it has got peely bits on it, including those that have been part chopped down already, then give it  adecent feed, it will have a chance of flowering this year. Then you will see exactyl what it is. Any long growth that you are keeping would need to be tied up to support  it

The other one looks like a raspberry too. It may be a summer fruiting sort, so if you cut out everything that looks old and lightish coloured (but not green or then healthy brown looking colour), it should flower around end of May, early June I should hope.

It's like moving into a new house :) very exciting finding out what you have.

I'm lucky it's this time of year as I have time to do things.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 18:52 »
Exciting times indeed, Matt  :D

xx
Supermarket living lettuce-plant or not 2 plant?

Started by violet61 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 11, 2009, 20:29
by violet61
xx
Butternut - to plant out or not to plant out?

Started by tomato-joy on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 13, 2007, 17:09
by little sweetpeas
xx
How many BNS did you get from each plant?

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post October 14, 2009, 16:34
by green fingers
xx
Could I plant anything under my

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 10, 2009, 14:00
by Beetroot queen

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 33 queries.