Feather Pecking Niggle - Advice needed

• 6 Replies

FeralSuz

• Watching the sunset...
Feather Pecking Niggle - Advice needed
« on: July 24, 2011, 10:50 »
Hi,

Please could someone advise me on something?

My New Hampshire Red hen is steadily losing feathers off the end of her rear, on her back, just above her vent. I have noticed a couple of the other hens pecking her in that particular spot as well, not seemingly in an aggressive way, but more as if there is something there they can smell?

I have inspected the area, and see only some feather ends, the skin looking sandy and somewhat grey-ish...a little dry, but no redness, no wound or anything that looks infected.

To all intents and purposes, she seems quite fine within herself, although I have noticed that her droppings are more bright yellow and foamy  than they are white and green. Her droppings have been like that since I got her. She is eating and drinking fine and seems energetic enough, and is also now laying successfully. But when I picked her up, it felt to me as if she was much thinner than my other hens.

Not sure if all or any of this is connected, but simply giving you an all-round status of her general health/activities.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks,
Suz

3Bluebelles

• Experienced Member
Re: Feather Pecking Niggle - Advice needed
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 12:02 »
Could she have lice? I have just discovered this on mine, and it does mean they scratch and peck at the itchy area, which is usually around their vent and the base of their tail. She may have started by pulling her own feathers out and then the others started doing it when she got a bald patch.

Is it just one hen doing it, or are they all? You could try either purple spray (which might soothe the dry skin as well) or anti-pecking spray - although I think that's normally only used if it's one hen and a behaviour thing rather than a health issue.

I would have a really close look and see if you can see either small white eggs around the feather base, or the actual lice, which are pale brown and long rather than round like mites.

If you see any, the easiest way to treat them is with Frontline for cats or kittens.

Good luck.
Jacky

FeralSuz

• Watching the sunset...
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 12:11 »
She's the only one with falling out feathers. I am not sure if she is pulling them out herself, but they are coming loose.

I did not spot any lice or eggs though. Perhaps I shall have to have another look, now that I know that I need to be checking for something specific.

:}

3Bluebelles

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 12:20 »
Sorry also meant to say about the droppings and the weight loss - have you wormed them recently? They need to be wormed with Flubenvet every 3-6 months.

This could also affect her feather condition if she has worms.

If it were me I would worm them all and also Frontline them for lice etc. It won't do them any harm, and might do them lots of good. (unless you have already done this recently).

They're a worry aren't they?

FeralSuz

• Watching the sunset...
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 14:22 »
No, only had them three weeks. But absolutely...just needed someone to tell what it is I must do. :}

I'll get right on that. Thanks for the help!

OpiumEater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 22:38 »
Is she bottom of the pecking order? My bottom ringer lost feathers on her back and any new growth was soon cropped back so I made her a jacket. The feathers are growing back well now, but she still gets last place for food, so I have to put several feeding stations out to stop her getting too thin.

Good luck and best wishes

Christine
Alice - Australorp
Bernadette - Barnevelder
Dora - Silver Grey Dorking
LilliBet - Cream Leg Bar

henamoured

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 23:05 »
If you can't see any lice or mites, one other thing you could try would be to bath her. I use a mop bucket because it's deep enough to cover the whole body, warm water and a bit of poultry shield and mild shampoo. Give her a good soak and make sure all the feathers are wetted and washed. I then rinse it plain warm water ready in another bucket. Wrap in towel, then blow dry on warm (not hot) hair dryer setting.
I did this for one of my hybrids who had lice, was a late layer and just not doing well. It really picked her up and she's not looked back since.

xx
feather pecking

Started by freda on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post December 30, 2008, 20:52
by freda
xx
Feather pecking...need help please

Started by moomintroll on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post February 11, 2012, 15:10
by Mrs Bee
xx
Feather pecking

Started by Bodger on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 10, 2007, 14:55
by Bodger
xx
feather pecking

Started by lisa80 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 18, 2010, 14:11
by lisa80

Page created in 0.23 seconds with 33 queries.