We have a wasps nest HELP!!

• 28 Replies

digital_biscuit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2007, 14:16 »
Can of deodorant and lighter, flame throw their little asses!!!

andyh4

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2007, 15:17 »
Before we all go around destroying the insect population, remember that wasps spend most of the year dispatching things like greenfly.

It is only in the autumn, when they start to feed on part rotting fruit, that they can become agressive.  The fruit of course has partly turned to alcohol and just like a lot of humans I know when they have a drop to much, the wasps become somewhat beligerant.

Live and let live is the best option, then the queen can set off a new nest next year in a different location and help keep you pest levels down.
Andy

muntjac

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2007, 15:34 »
Quote from: "andyh4"
Before we all go around destroying the insect population, remember that wasps spend most of the year dispatching things like greenfly.

It is only in the autumn, when they start to feed on part rotting fruit, that they can become agressive.  The fruit of course has partly turned to alcohol and just like a lot of humans I know when they have a drop to much, the wasps become somewhat beligerant.

Live and let live is the best option, then the queen can set off a new nest next year in a different location and help keep you pest levels down.

hear hear  :wink:
still alive /............

shaun

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2007, 19:53 »
they have a warning system,the nest on my plot you only have to walk up to it and they come out mob handed ,brilliant i love em  8)
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

mkhenry

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2007, 20:22 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
Quote from: "andyh4"

hear hear  :wink:

The worse thing you can do is flap your arms and sceam,they go straight into attack mode.Plus if you do kill one all of his pals will turn out for the funeral. They sent out a distress signal which calls all available wasps. :wink:
Some poor village is missing its Idiot
plus officially the longest ever occupier of the naughty step.
My Gardening and Growing Hints and Tips

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2007, 20:55 »
Personally I have nothing against them apart from the fact they insist on chewing the fence to make pulp, interesting to watch.  8)
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

flowergirl

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2007, 20:58 »
im of the opinion that wasps only live to annoy you in pub gardens in the summer :lol:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2007, 20:59 »
Quote from: "mkhenry"

The worse thing you can do is flap your arms and sceam.

You've met my wife then?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mkhenry

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2007, 21:00 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"
Personally I have nothing against them apart from the fact they insist on chewing the fence to make pulp, interesting to watch.  8)

Right then its offical RichyRich has time to sit and watch the wasps chewing fences. :?

Aunty this is one for you perhaps shed duty or tidying up the hedge row cobwebs. 8)

I dont know a young man like that standing idle what is this lottie site coming to. :wink:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2007, 21:19 »
:lol:

Not likely if I stand still too long SWMBO soon finds me a job ( like painting the fence, blooming wasps !! :roll: ), anyway watching the wasps is therapeutic, if you ain't got time to stop and stare, then what have you got time for ?

shaun

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2007, 22:20 »
the worst place i got stung was on the my ear,I had those little yellow ear plugs in at work and the wasp wouldnt leave me alone,I think it fancied the ear plug. :?

mkhenry

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2007, 22:25 »
Quote from: "shaun"
the worst place i got stung was on the my ear,I had those little yellow ear plugs in at work and the wasp wouldnt leave me alone,I think it fancied the ear plug. :?

I got stung very badly in that part that men that a man never wants to be stung. :shock:

I asked the doctor to take away the pain but leave the swelling :wink:

shaun

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2007, 22:28 »
:lol: henry :lol:

the mrs got stung on the neck at a market so I sucked it out there and then,we got some strange looks of folks walking past as she was crying at the time with the pain(from the wasp)  :wink: :lol:

hermon

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2007, 13:11 »
we had a nest above our patio doors last summer we left it as i had heard they don't come back and this year they have moved up to the eves! i can't kill them as they arn't doing any harm (you just can't open the window below the eves!!) we have a loft extension so i don't know where their nest is. yes i agree they eat aphids all life has a reason for being here however anoying they are! (even slugs eat decaying plant matter, and each other!) :shock:

xx
wasps nest

Started by finleyfreyaseth on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post August 03, 2011, 14:12
by TerryB
xx
Wasps!

Started by jackieinthebox2001 on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post August 22, 2011, 09:33
by Swing Swang
question
Wasps

Started by Aunt Sally on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post September 06, 2021, 17:19
by AndyRVTR
xx
hornet's nest

Started by agapanthus on General Gardening

14 Replies
Last post September 21, 2007, 12:16
by wildeone

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 38 queries.