Charcoal

• 3 Replies

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
Charcoal
« on: May 03, 2010, 08:37 »
Hi all,

I was recently investigating using charcoal to enhance my soil. Being a bit of a scientific nerd, i enjoy studying lightning and its benefits to providing natural fertilizer for plants. I also understand its importance in regeneration and distribution of seeds through fire. One of the things that got me thinking and its only a thought is that in forest fires the burnt tree's produce a lot of charcoal which only ends up back in the soil, as a way of recycling. I have been doing some studying into this and it seems charcoal does have some effect on enhancing the nitrogen take in at first time growth. this charcoal however, is of wild type from the forest. I wanted to ask if anyone has ever used normal Bar BQ charcoal added with manure to help condition the soil or to help with encourage seedling growth?

thanks,
Mani

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Charcoal
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 10:21 »
I don't know anything about adding charcoal, but do know that wood ash is good for the garden. I would think that charcoal would be the same and have the benefit of improving the soil structure?

But as I say......'I know nuffin'  :wacko:

Manlea1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 11:23 »
I burn any old wood of my allotment in the chimera(spelling?) at home and take the ash and spread it around the compost bin and recover with manure  :) Ill use it next year as a soil improver  ;)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 19:25 »
Charcoal can acts a soil improver as it can absorb soil pollutants to some extent and contains potassium too. I seem to recall it being very good for peas and beans (dredging ancient memory now  :lol: )

Imho you could use lumpwood barbecue charcoal as that is a natural rpoduct but go careful with nayhting else as it may have additives that make it long lasting and extra hot, but may not suit the soil  :unsure: :unsure:

Hope that helps  :)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
Using charcoal as a soil conditioner

Started by reg s on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post February 26, 2013, 23:28
by SkyeEnt

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 36 queries.