manure

• 4 Replies

hiccup

• Experienced Member
manure
« on: October 08, 2014, 20:23 »
I've just had my first bucketful of manure put over the fence, its black and odourless on the outside
  but a tad greenish in the middle. Should I spread it, or leave in a heap till spring, bearing in mind I have a few
  more bucketfuls to come. all advice gratefully taken.
012.jpg
keep on digging

240173paul

Re: manure
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 20:27 »
I would cover it with black plastic and forget about for a year to kill of unknown weeds then spread lightly and rotovate / dig in next autumn.

beesrus

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 21:16 »
You'll probably get several answers. I guess many of us garden to our own personalities. Here's mine after many years experience.
If it's not totally fresh, which it doesn't sound like it is, spread it now, and leave to rot/get pulled down into the soil. It'll be brilliant after a Northern Winter. That will keep your plot covered and will help keep the existing local soil borne weed seeds under control. All manure has seeds in it, and another 12 months will make little difference to that part of the equation.... they're very resilient once out of the animal's digestive system ... nature designed them that way.
Horse manure is well known to carry more seeds than cow manure due to the cow's more efficient digestion, but neither are an insurmountable problem, far from it,  and certainly no more of a problem than leaving your beds bare all Winter.

Spread now and the rotting process will ensure your manure is starting to do it's thing come the Spring when you want it to. Unless you have other reasons to hold back, why wait another year ? Obviously don't spread it where you want to put carrots/parsnips next year. Most other crops will love it, potato and brassica beds in particular.
If you have a bit left over, it's always a good idea to mix some of it with any existing covered compost heaps you might have as it will help speed them up a lot.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 21:24 by beesrus »

3759allen

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 09:50 »
as long as you don't want to plant in the beds straight away spread it now and let the worms to their job over winter.

hiccup

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 19:53 »
Thanks all, for your advice, think i'll be muck spreading this weekend. Cant wait!!!

xx
How good is Pig Manure mixed with Horse Manure?

Started by MichelleC on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 05, 2011, 17:50
by MichelleC
xx
Chicken Manure Pellets vs DIY Store Manure

Started by RookieJim on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 20, 2014, 14:01
by Hampshire Hog
xx
Green manure vs animal manure

Started by Jai on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 06, 2010, 14:25
by Trillium
xx
Llama Manure and Manure in general

Started by Ace on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 02, 2011, 15:09
by Ace

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 37 queries.