Raspberries

• 10 Replies

240173paul

Raspberries
« on: October 08, 2014, 20:11 »
I am thinking of moving my raspberry canes into the fruit section of the allotment ;)  What was a row has now turned into a meter wide hedge, which allows no air, poor fruit and a pain to pick unless you have the ability to levitate!  So, the million dollar question is

Has anyone contained the canes roots by planting in pots, root barrier or any other ways and still had successful raspberries??

Many thanks in advance for all suggestions

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Raspberries
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 20:21 »
Mine are in a narrow bed with grass paths either side - so the runners get mowed off, which stops any spread  ;)

solway cropper

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 22:34 »
Mine are grown along the boundary between mine and the neighbour's garden. On my side I dug a trench and buried a length of fascia board into it. No stray rasps on my side but they keep popping up in my neighbour's lawn as much as 2m from the fence.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 08:00 »
Mine managed to escape the edging of the bed, but I guess I just didn't bury it deep enough --- see Solway Cropper's post above -- but I usually manage to control them as they pop up in the bark path. Not too much of a problem really.

The occasional blighter finds it way under the path and into adjoining beds, so this year for example, the carrots and the potatoes both had a largish cane in them. I wait until it is big enough to grab and pull it out, holding really low down. Usually works  :D
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 08:02 by sunshineband »
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Nobbie

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 09:35 »
Mine are grown along the boundary between mine and the neighbour's garden. On my side I dug a trench and buried a length of fascia board into it. No stray rasps on my side but they keep popping up in my neighbour's lawn as much as 2m from the fence.

I used UPVC Facia board as well, either side of a 18" bed and it worked well. I think mine was 12" facia board with just the top showing.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 09:49 »
I used spare PVC pond liner to create a vertical soil barrier about 12" deep. It more or less works but something like corrugated plastic would have been easier to work with and 15-18" deep would probably stop the more determined suckers which still occasionally find their way under it.

Also true that with no barrier they can sucker up at least 6' from the parent plant - I have to pull out suckers from my delphinium bed from time to time which is about that distance away from the nearest rasp, although if you catch them early enough they're quite easy to pull out and don't try again for a while (or for about as long as you remember to keep checking for them!  :nowink:)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

jaydig

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 09:51 »
Raspberry runners are so prolific it makes one wonder why they're so expensive to buy, doesn't it. I must pull out a couple of hundred pounds' worth of runners every season.

gypsy

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 10:42 »
Last year I ripped the raspberries out as they had not been doing very well. I was given some new ones and planted them in a bath, they have not done very well, very few small fruits.The ones I ripped out and threw onto the rubbish pile have got the best raspberries I have ever seen.
Catherine

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 13:46 »
 :lol:  :lol: Typical  :nowink:

LotuSeed

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 14:54 »
Gotta watch and make sure the canes don't get so long that they end up tip rooting too  :tongue2:
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

Lesleyk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 20:44 »
Has anyone contained the canes roots by planting in pots, root barrier or any other ways and still had successful raspberries??

I used to work in a nursery where we grew raspberries in large pots and they seemed to thrive.  The pots were in rows with wire lines alongside to tie them to as they grew.  Each year we would cut them back, exactly as you would in the garden, and in the spring they would come away again, with a top dressing of new compost and a bit of feed.  Don't know if this helps, but I guess it proves that, in this case at least, they didn't mind having their roots contained.

xx
raspberries

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 13, 2012, 05:41
by mdjlucan
xx
Raspberries

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 31, 2015, 12:10
by JayG
xx
raspberries

Started by tomboy on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 20:38
by IanYORK
xx
Raspberries

Started by sallal on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post September 14, 2013, 16:45
by JohnB47

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 40 queries.