Egg sizes/weights

• 1 Replies

Chicken Pete

Egg sizes/weights
« on: April 05, 2012, 15:34 »
I have not been able to contribute/read this forum for a while but would like to ask the following.
In recent weeks we have seen the eggs getting bigger (not complaining) and about every 4 or 5 days we get a larger one with the weights between 98 and 103gms - they are normally averaging 75/85 gms. A few days ago to our surprise there was a very large egg weighing 122 gms,.
Can anyone advise me as to why these larger eggs are suddenly appearing and are they classed as larger than normal large eggs and what may be causing it to happen as we have not changed their food.
Thanks

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Egg sizes/weights
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 16:03 »
Young hens start off with smaller eggs and they do get gradually bigger.  They can be slightly smaller in the winter and larger again once they are able to eat for longer during the day.  It takes over 24 hours to produce an egg so they lay later each day and then miss a day out.  Then their next egg is sometimes larger than normal. 

Some of the really large ones can be double yolkers as 2 yolks are released at the same time and end up in one egg instead of 2.  It is better for the hen not to have too big an egg but I don't think there is anything you can do to prevent it.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

xx
Turkey weights before and after D day?

Started by LivvyW on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post December 18, 2011, 12:34
by LivvyW
xx
Different breeds and sizes

Started by Cabbie37 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 28, 2009, 18:06
by mrs.ploppy
xx
Mixing the sizes.

Started by Midwife on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post January 30, 2008, 13:55
by Midwife
xx
Runs and sizes?

Started by bashful_badger on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 24, 2009, 11:52
by bashful_badger

Page created in 0.231 seconds with 38 queries.