Free and Wild Food

• 187 Replies

sion01

Re: Free and Wild Food
« Reply #120 on: November 10, 2012, 10:11 »
Couldn't belive it a few months ago when I was walking on a surf beach near by when I noticed a whole scallop on the tide line.I presumed it was dead but when I picked it up I felt it closeing.Walked along and found another 6.Not believeing my luck I put them in a bucket of salted water when I got home and yes they were alive.

Haveing never cooked /eaten scallops before(theyre so expensive) I read my river cottage books and cooked them.They were fantastic.Ive been back to the beach many times after and after a storm I always get 2-10 scallops :D.Added bonus was that the dunes behind the beach had a good supply of field mushrooms too.Its a really great place and is well worth the petrol to get there.

Its a big beach and on one of my scallop walks a week ago I found a patch of millions of cockle shells (empty) makeing up part of the beach.I went down do the low tide mark and eureka COCKLES.I take a little rake there with me when I go there now and collect enough cockles for myself.Top Top spot

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #121 on: November 10, 2012, 10:16 »
I love fresh gathered cockles --- so much more flavourful than those that have been hanging around somehow.

Lucky you, being able to get scallops too  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Growster...

« Reply #122 on: November 10, 2012, 10:48 »
Nice one, Sion!

I used to love going shrimping, and have forgotten just how rewarding a pastime it is!

Agree about scallops, for some reason, I never touch them (had a nasty vongole once, which turned me right off them, and mussels), but perhaps I should try again now!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #123 on: November 10, 2012, 11:13 »
wow lucky you - I love scallops.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #124 on: November 10, 2012, 14:27 »
What wonderful luck Sion!  :) 

I remember (in a previous life) chasing scallops across the sea bed.  They can really shift and we used to collect them in a bag and poach them in the galley in some milk.  Wonderful flavour (especially after working up a healthy appetite).   :tongue2:

Thanks for the memory, was good times.  :D
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

superpete

• Experienced Member
« Reply #125 on: February 12, 2013, 23:18 »
I go all ga ga when I find something out on walks that I can eat and is as fresh as – I don't know much... blackberries, a few mushrooms... I lived on the south coast for one winter and pretty much just ate fresh mackrel (were 10p then) and mash – I'm envious of you coastal dwellers now.

I agree sion01, “Wild Food” by Roger Phillips and Martyn Rix is a very informative and a lovely book, as are all the the books in that Pan series - the one that's just entitled “Vegetables” is a must have for veg growers (I think) as is the the one about mushrooms if you're into foraging... (but I'd still want a Frenchman with me)

What I wanted to share was this website – I haven't fully explored, only found it today...

superpete

• Experienced Member
« Reply #126 on: February 12, 2013, 23:22 »
wish you'd made this a Ning site John ----

the link I tried to post was to this :- http://www.eatweeds.co.uk/

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #127 on: February 13, 2013, 06:23 »

Excuse my lack of knowledge of the name, but what is a Ning site? You appear to have managed to post the link, or is it missing some sort of functionality in its present form?

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

sion01

« Reply #128 on: February 22, 2013, 17:19 »

I've given up on all mushrooms exept for the common field mushroom.My nerves culdn't take it anymore.You have to have the memory of an elephant.What finally did it for me was discovering that one of the inkcaps I'd been eatting for a while was highly poisonouse if you consumed alcahol within 5 or so hours of enjoying the mushroom.Most of what I ate wern't up to fieldmushrooms anyway so other fungai are now off my list for safetys sake.It was either that or giving up alcahol.No contest Scrumpy 1 Fungus0

superpete

• Experienced Member
« Reply #129 on: February 23, 2013, 11:19 »
arugula - In the “post reply” section, the BBC tags don't tell us what they are when we hover over them (link; add image etc)  like the smileys do.

I didn't know before I posted whether my two links had worked, (“Vegetables”and “www.eatweeds”) then after I posted I couldn't see how to edit or delete it so that I could try again

Ning sites are social networking sites like this is. I'm a member of one but now I think back, I had a hell of a job trying to upload my first picture.. New techy stuff is always difficult for me but I'll get the hang of it - - - I found out how to add pictures in my gallery two days ago but they haven't been approved yet?

Oh and by the way I'm not really superpete - just pete.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #130 on: February 23, 2013, 11:23 »
Ah, thanks for the explanation (super)pete. :D

And I'll go and approve now. ;) That's a manual process of someone remembering to look. ::)

Joss

« Reply #131 on: February 27, 2013, 19:28 »
I think theres nothing better than taking my dirt bike , or old bsa out when its blackberry time and having a day picking blackberrys , and sloes at the same time (I put the sloes in the freezer ) And I get my horse muck from a friend , i have to go and shovel it up out of her field sometimes and theres always Mushrooms to be picked as well . I'm also thinking of getting my Air rifle out and sorting the rabbit problem she has as well , I'll only take 2 or 3 at a time to eat , food for free is great  :D

Armleywhite

• Experienced Member
« Reply #132 on: March 10, 2013, 12:48 »
I use the dandelions I find on my plot and from other sources not anywhere near habitiation.  Leaves can be used in salads etc and the roots dried and made into coffee. 

Growing4mykids

• Many a mickle makes a muckle
« Reply #133 on: August 06, 2013, 18:51 »
Have lucked upon an area within 10 mins from our front door with cherry, apple and pear tree's and wild fennel, absolutely made up, needless to say we came home with a pound and a half of cherries  :D each of the tree's seemed to be laden so i'm guessing, apart from the birds, not many people bother, oh well  ;)
It's like a jungle sometimes, it makes me wonder how i keep from going under......

Growster...

« Reply #134 on: August 06, 2013, 20:40 »
Of no real interest to anyone in particular, but as this is such an old starter post, isn't it nice to see all these old friends joining in all that time ago!

xx
free food!!

Started by agapanthus on Frugal Living

16 Replies
Last post September 15, 2009, 23:28
by agapanthus
xx
Free food!

Started by beki on Frugal Living

17 Replies
Last post March 05, 2009, 20:20
by Paul Plots
xx
BTCV free food guide

Started by Yorkie on Frugal Living

7 Replies
Last post July 20, 2010, 11:23
by scabs
xx
Free 14 day trial of Garden Advice Club (+ 2 FREE GARDENING BOOKS)

Started by commerlad on Frugal Living

0 Replies
Last post May 17, 2010, 08:55
by commerlad

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 54 queries.