unripe peppers

• 7 Replies

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
unripe peppers
« on: October 23, 2012, 10:25 »
The peppers in my unheated greenhouse are still mainly green, although some of them are 'on the turn'. Chillies are further ahead but still quite a few green ones. With much colder weather coming this weekend what should I do with them? Never had this problem before... I'm normally clearing the greenhouse out by now! If I cut the peppers and bring them inside will they ripen off the plants?
Rachael

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: unripe peppers
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 11:00 »
My experience is that they don't ripen off the plant, but I seem to remember others posting that they do (the truth is no doubt somewhere in between - they possibly do ripen if already past a critical point when picked, probably with some of their "final" colour already showing I suspect.)  :unsure:

Unlike tomatoes though, you can of course eat either of them in their not fully-ripe state.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 13:02 »
I've got the same problem.  Lots of lovely peppers and chillies, but had very few ripe ones.  And green Hot Sweet Thai Chilli Sauce doesn't quite have the look of the red one!!   :(

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 13:29 »
I've had bought green peppers turn red, but they seem to go wrinkly at the same time.
Anne

crh75

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 14:06 »
I find if you string them up somewhere warmish most turn red as they dry.

lazza

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 12:23 »
I've got the same dilemma. I've found in the past that chillis tend to turn quite well, but peppers less so. And I have about two dozen green peppers which I am desperate to ripen- green peppers simply are not as nice to eat, and as I have orange, yellow and red varieties, I hardly want them all to be the same colour!  :lol:

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 13:00 »
It's most disappointing isn't it. I had the same problem with my sweetcorn - lots of big juicy cobs, but it just hasn't been warm enough for them to fully ripen.
I've decided I really had to clear out the greenhouse this week - while I'm off work and before it gets frosty, so I now have 17 green peppers on the windowsill, and we can but hope. Will a banana help at all?

lazza

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 15:16 »
Will a banana help at all?

IF they are going to ripen at all, an over-ripe banana will help, as they give off small amounts of ethene gas which promotes fruit ripening. So I guess it can't do any harm

xx
peppers...

Started by andy and deb on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post July 12, 2011, 18:15
by arugula
xx
Peppers without pep!

Started by chiller on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

13 Replies
Last post June 08, 2013, 06:45
by cadalot
clip
Hot peppers

Started by Lardman on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post August 28, 2014, 09:12
by compostqueen
xx
sweet peppers

Started by LILLILEAF on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

8 Replies
Last post July 22, 2018, 12:17
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 36 queries.