Storing and rejuvenating Begonias

• 6 Replies

Lesleyk

• Experienced Member
Storing and rejuvenating Begonias
« on: May 26, 2014, 19:35 »
A bit late for this year, but can anyone provide me with the definitive answer on how to store Begonia tubers over the winter and how/when to bring them back to life.  I have kept tubers for a couple of years now, with some success but not much!  So, to store in compost (dry? wet?) or in nothing at all?  In the dark/light?  In a greenhouse or shed?  Warm or cold?  And in the spring/early summer, once the first stirrings of new buds can be seen, do I pot them up immediately?  Water them and leave them for a while?  Take them into the light and do nothing for a bit?  At what stage do I put them into compost/pots/planting positions and with no help from a heated greenhouse or any other encouragement, should I be looking to plant them out/pot them up before June in any case? 

So many questions but this is a topic I feel very unsure about (as you can tell).  It has reared its ugly head because I took delivery of some Begonias in full flower from a nursery about four weeks ago and this seemed very early, particularly as my pathetic, overwintered specimens are still struggling to show any signs of life at all ..... :(

Goosegirl

Re: Storing and rejuvenating Begonias
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 11:58 »
Hessayon's book says to lift in October, keep indoors and remove all stems and leaves when they have died down. Store in dry peat (compost should do) in a frost-free area (indoors methinks), then press the tubers with the hollow side uppermost into damp peat in March/April at a temp of 60-70F then, when leafy shoots form, pot on into compost. Hope that helps.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Lesleyk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 19:36 »
Thanks GG - I didn't realise they should be kept indoors during the winter so I have been keeping them in the (unheated) greenhouse or in the garage (cos I didn't know whether they needed light or dark). Your info is really helpful so I will do exactly as you advise come the autumn  :D

yorky

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 20:07 »
If you are just growing a few for the garden then this link might be a bit of an overkill, but I have found it helpful in the past.

http://www.national-begonia-society.co.uk/Editors%20Tutorial/Editors%20Tutorial%20Title%20Page.htm
Sets a low standard and fails to achieve it.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 10:28 »
I have some corms that are five years old now and massive beasts they are too  :lol:

As soon as our first frosts arrive, I dig them up and leave them on the (frost free in winter) greenhouse staging in large empty pot saucers until the leaves begin to wilt. I then cut off all the stems and leaves, turn the corms upside down and leave them in these trays under the staging until Christmas, when I turn them back over.

About the middle of February there are tiny reddish green buds form on the top, so I surround the corms with MP compost, that is just damp, until these start to grow, when I give the compost a little more water, but never to make it wet --- no holes in the saucers, remember!

They carry on growing, with the occasional foliar feed spray, until I harden then off and plant outside after the risk of frosts ie about now.   They go in containers, and the top of the corm is only just below the surface of the compost.

I hope this helps  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Lesleyk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 15:59 »
I have some corms that are five years old now and massive beasts they are too  :lol:

As soon as our first frosts arrive, I dig them up and leave them on the (frost free in winter) greenhouse staging in large empty pot saucers until the leaves begin to wilt. I then cut off all the stems and leaves, turn the corms upside down and leave them in these trays under the staging until Christmas, when I turn them back over.

About the middle of February there are tiny reddish green buds form on the top, so I surround the corms with MP compost, that is just damp, until these start to grow, when I give the compost a little more water, but never to make it wet --- no holes in the saucers, remember!

They carry on growing, with the occasional foliar feed spray, until I harden then off and plant outside after the risk of frosts ie about now.   They go in containers, and the top of the corm is only just below the surface of the compost.

I hope this helps  :D

It certainly does - thanks for your detailed explanation; even I can do this I think.  I think where I have been going wrong is getting over-eager about potting them up in compost sooner than I should.  I will hold back next year.  In the meantime, some of the corms I had overwintered for this year have shown no signs of coming back to life at all - does that mean they've had it?  Should I throw them away, or can I rescue somehow? :unsure:

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 12:21 »
Just give thema very gentle squeeze - if they feel soft, then throw them; if not, give them another chance, though I would have thought by now they should have shown some signs of life.

xx
Begonias

Started by jingerpot on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post March 26, 2007, 21:53
by Aunt Sally
clip
GG's begonias.

Started by Goosegirl on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post September 02, 2023, 08:56
by Goosegirl
smiley
Begonias

Started by Gardener Girl on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post February 26, 2010, 07:35
by Gardener Girl
xx
begonias ?

Started by starry on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post September 22, 2010, 16:19
by savbo

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 29 queries.