When days get bad at the refuge, they get bad

• 42 Replies

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
Re: When days get bad at the refuge, they get bad
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2013, 21:36 »
People can be so cruel to animals - I mean, why hack a dogs ears off? :ohmy: What does that achieve other than pain and suffering.

You do an admirable job Pamela ;) :)

For some breeds it is to stop them being ripped off by things like wolves when they are guarding flocks (Kate Humble Wild Shepherdess).  I can only imagine that in Spain the dogs are used to dig out badgers so it could be to save the dogs ears being attacked.   :(

:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:
That is NOT good!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2013, 21:43 »
People can be so cruel to animals - I mean, why hack a dogs ears off? :ohmy: What does that achieve other than pain and suffering.

You do an admirable job Pamela ;) :)

For some breeds it is to stop them being ripped off by things like wolves when they are guarding flocks (Kate Humble Wild Shepherdess).  I can only imagine that in Spain the dogs are used to dig out badgers so it could be to save the dogs ears being attacked.   :(

:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:
That is NOT good!

It is for the dogs that are guarding livestock as injury would end in a slow and painful death if a wolf ripped an ear off.  It is not ideal but a necessary evil in areas where people are lucky to live into their 40's but look in their 70's.  :( No excuse at all when it is for sport.   >:(
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Sparkyrog

« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2013, 23:19 »
It was also the reason for a lot of tail docking  :(
I cook therefore I grow

Oliveview

« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2013, 07:30 »
A man asked me if I wanted a pup, I sad sorry I had 2 dogs, I did not want more (5 dogs now, dammed refuge!!). He said a friend of his wanted a pup, but the friend would dock the pups tail, so he would not let the friend take a pup.  It is illegal to dock tails, but it still happens. 

Pamela

Sparkyrog

« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2013, 08:15 »
I think "hope" it is completely banned now !

Goosegirl

« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2013, 12:34 »
OMG.  :ohmy: You have GG's eyes smarting with tears now. It doesn't help that I've just got Celine Dion singing "Think Twice" on my PC. Sparkyrog - hope is NEVER banned whilst we still have people like Oliveview and her helpers who care. So not dissing you and I know what you mean, just where there is life, there is hope.  Whilst we cannot save every creature that comes into our lives, that money is so tight for many animal refuges, and there are times when the kindest thing to do is put them gently to sleep, It seems to me that, despite what they've been through, the sheer will for some to survive against all the odds and yet to still show trust in humans, is a wonder. I truly believe that some animals are meant to make it for a reason; maybe to teach us about resiliance, perseverance, overcoming life's obstacles, giving out even if you don't always get it back and, most of all, about real love - 'cos that's what animals instinctively know, respond to, and then we get it back in spades and go on. I want to say more, but I don't know the words. GG would send you a big yellow hug stretchy-thingy - but she doesn't know how to do it on here!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Trillium

« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2013, 14:22 »
I know exactly what you mean, goosegirl. Mankind thinks he/she's at the top of the food chain and the smartest of all creatures, but in reality there are many humbler creatures that are wiser, kinder and more caring than mankind can ever be. We call it humanity but so many humans lack it.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2013, 16:05 »
I think you've misread sparkyrog's post, GG.

My reading of his text is that he thinks or hopes that tail docking is banned - hence the inclusion of the word "it".

Not that hope itself is banned.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Sparkyrog

« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2013, 16:29 »
Quite right Yorkie  :)

Goosegirl

« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2013, 11:23 »
Sorry sparkyrog - GG's got it wrong again! "Should have gone to whatsit's" is becoming a regular excuse for me; trouble is, I've  just been! :unsure: Nice reply Trillium!  ;)

Oliveview

« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2013, 13:43 »
I was told last night that Rocky, the earless (is that a word?!) Pitbull might possibly have a family interested in him. He is a great dog, he deserves a nice home. He has never shown any aggression to any of us, not like Pumba, a pint sized moody dog :lol: as the saying goes, when he is good he is very, very good, when he is bad he is horrid :lol:

We did think of abandoning him outside the gate of the family who adopted the 3 refuge dogs, but they have seen him, so would know where Pumba came from  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pamela

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2013, 14:45 »
 :lol:  It probably would have worked. 

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2013, 21:56 »
Fingers crossed for Rocky  :)

xx
News from the refuge

Started by Oliveview on Pets without Feathers

312 Replies
Last post November 22, 2016, 09:52
by Aled
xx
2 refuge dogs off to new homes today

3 Replies
Last post November 10, 2012, 15:00
by joyfull
xx
the last few days

Started by titch on Pets without Feathers

17 Replies
Last post January 03, 2010, 10:23
by Parsnip
xx
Fostering another dog for a few days...and now another dog

22 Replies
Last post July 14, 2013, 22:06
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 40 queries.