Why isn't one of my hens laying?

• 7 Replies

katielou22

Why isn't one of my hens laying?
« on: June 12, 2012, 13:46 »
About 6 weeks ago we bought 4 POL pullets, 3 of which are laying everyday but the amber/sussex cross hasn't laid a single egg! We have searched the garden to see if she has layed there istead of in the coop but there is nothing! Does anyone have any idea as to why she's not laying?

splash101

Re: Why isn't one of my hens laying?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 14:45 »
It might be that she isnt ready, i had a rhode island red that didnt lay until she was 8-9 months old, but when she finally laid one, boy did everyone know about it, and then she laid everyday since then. She used to lay them in random places rather than the nest box

It could also be that she is younger than the others.

Does they have access to food all day?

I'm sure a more experienced keeper will be able to offer some better advice

katielou22

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 14:52 »
They have access to layers pellets all day and they are also out in the garden through the day. She does seem to lose a lot of feathers - maybe I only think there are more due to them being white!! I'll be patient with her and keep my fingers crossed - although my partner did show her a box of stuffing over the weekend and tell her if she didn't get her act together she'd be in the pot! Had to remind him laying or not they are the kids pets!

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 15:14 »
Is her comb red, also does she squat when you go near her or touch her back?  If no to both of these she just isn't ready to lay, some take longer than others :)

katielou22

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 15:20 »
Wow, no she doesn't and the other 3 do! Why do they squat and she doesn't? What does the squatting represent? She is the fiestiest of all the girls, chasing them round and even chasing sparrows out of the garden!

Casey76

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 15:36 »
OK, first of all, breeders will classify hens as POL anywhere from 12 weeks upwards (becasue at 12 weeks pullets are almost adult size, though over the next year they will "bulk up")!  Fast maturing hybrids (like ISA browns etc) will actually be ready to lay at approximately 18-20 weeks, and pure breeds like Sussex will be ready to lay from 26-35 weeks of age.

Signs of imminent laying include a rapid growth of the comb.  A comb in a ready to pay pullet will be bright red  - though size depends on the breed.  A red comb indicates to the cockerel that the hen is fertile and ready to produce offspring.  In conjunction with this, a pullet will squat, hold her wings out stiffly from the shoulders, and may even stamp her feet.  This is the mating position, and allows the cockerel to mount the pullet in order to breed.

Immature pullets don't do this, and in most cases cockerels will leave them alone.

So, check the pullets comb, and compare the colour to the three which are laying (again, not necessarily size), as this is a more reliable indicator or ready-to-lay-ness than size/age etc.  It may be that your pullet is either a wee bit younger than the others, or that she may mature a bit later :)

katielou22

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 15:40 »
Brilliant, thank you all very much for all your advice.  :D

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 16:13 »
One of our three was a good six weeks later than the others, so you may need patience (or your OH may!) :D

xx
hens not laying

Started by shaunie on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 23, 2009, 08:19
by joyfull
xx
best laying hens?

Started by spud on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post January 29, 2011, 09:21
by alisonwo
wink
Hens not laying... help!

Started by Button07 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post November 17, 2009, 14:18
by IMOmimey
xx
Hens laying away

Started by Malcolm on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 14, 2006, 21:34
by Malcolm

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 36 queries.