Help, my run is starting to smell

• 11 Replies

new heather

Help, my run is starting to smell
« on: May 10, 2011, 17:08 »
Hi,

I have a run attached to the coop which the girls are in during the day, then when I get in I let them attack the garden :D

The run has now no grass left  ::) and given all this rain it has started to smell. Can i disinfect the ground? Dont want the nieghbours to moan  :mad:

Any help much appreciated

evie2

Re: Help, my run is starting to smell
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 17:12 »
Just clean it out and replace the removed earth with hempcore/bliss, play bark or new earth :D
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 17:26 »
you could try slabbing the area under the run. soil will go sour after a while with all the droppings. we got tired of turning the turf over and refillig.

plus points are:

you don't need to worry about soggy feet
you can scrape them clean and then hose pipe the area down
mr fox can't dig, gnaw, eat his way through - no matter how hard he tries!
we do ours once a week and our hens are happier - we had had slow layers to begin with but now all are happy and laying.

its especially good for our brahmas and cochins - or any other feather footed birds.

hope that helps. (we got our slabs 2nd hand off the auction website - lots of people are sorting gardens out right now so going pretty cheap!
1 Husband, 3 German Shepherds, 3 Black Jersey Giants, 3 White Jersey Giants, 1 White Jersey Cross, 1Blue Buff Columbian Brahma, 2 Buff Columbian Brahma, 1 White Columbian Brahma,  3 Gold Brahmas, 2 Golden Quail, 2 Giant Continental Rabbits and a Sister!

new heather

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 18:26 »
Thanks for you advice.

Do you just lay the slabs on the mud, or do you concrete in?  ???

Will they not mind not being able to dig a bath-which they currently do in two parts of the run?

F1schuey

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 18:37 »
Lay slabs on a bed of sand.  Mine are on slab as they are free range during the day, I use Jeyes fluid to scrub with a brush and then hose it off. Only let girls back in after completely dry.
I have 1 Lovely Husband, 2 lovely children, Poppy the Jack Russell, Alvin the Hamster, Jemima & Florence, Ben & Jerry the Budgies and our gorgeous Chick Sylvia and Jess aka Terry :D

new heather

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 18:53 »
Brilliant, will get slab laying then  :)

thanks for all your help

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 22:19 »
Slabs is the way to go.... I completely agree.

I have four out of five pens on slabs and the only one on dirt is the original one we started with.  :)

There is also a product called Reosan which is a chemical deodouriser ..... smells like bubble gum and is for waste shoots and rubbish tips etc.....

I called their lab yesterday for a friend who is worried his hens might smell... and they reassured me that it is perfectly safe for poultry, budgies and canaries etc  (he keeps all three)

Might be worth a shot!!
I love Pekins, Polands and Seramas :) and eggs!!!

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 23:03 »
Depending on the size of the run & the number of chickens, you might find daily poo-picking helps, with occasional digging out of the top layer (compost, or straight onto the garden - very finely sifted and enriched, we've found) and replacing it with soil from other parts of the garden or bark etc.

Bark will rot down over a few years and also turns into rich soil.
ManicMum

Dominic

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 08:50 »
Can you move the house and run?
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 12:04 »
We have slabs just laid on the dirt under our run.  We cover it with bedding and the hens are perfectly happy.  We, too, let them out when we get home from work and the first things they want to do is take a dust bath - which they seems to relish since they had to wait to do it.
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 12:14 »
you could also use shallow trays filled with fine sand for dust baths - i also add lice powder once in a while so they de-louse themselves too!

we grow grass in seed trays for the girls which they can scratch around in whilst in the run and then throw more seed in and replace with another tray until the original one grows back.

then the girls free range whenever we're around. (mr fox even pops down in the middle of the afternoon on the off chance of grabbing a take-away  :mad:  )

and our slabs are on both soil and sand - depends on your budget :)
hope that helps...

new heather

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 10:48 »
Thanks for all your replies.

We have laid slabs in half the run and bark in the oother half. We also turned the soil over(We being my husband! ;))

The are now non smelling and very happy hens.

They have taken to following me around the garden now which is so lovely, very interested in helping me peg the washing out  :D

Not sure how I got by without them, spend so much time watching them and their funny ways

xx
How bad does Mr fox smell?

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post April 22, 2013, 11:01
by maxyboo
xx
egg shell smell

Started by Sparr0wman on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 24, 2009, 18:18
by Sparr0wman
xx
Smell and flies

Started by BGD on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 24, 2013, 14:52
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Question about smell - please help!

Started by Nats on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post May 16, 2008, 09:29
by Nats

Page created in 0.293 seconds with 35 queries.