Male or Female Ducks?? And one or two other questions!

• 6 Replies

mollie15

Male or Female Ducks?? And one or two other questions!
« on: September 14, 2009, 09:39 »
May be collecting some ducks today, perhaps 3 or 4 but should I get a male or not??  

Any advice would be appreciated!  

I want Silver Appleyards and hubby fancies some Khaki Campbells, can we mix them ok?

Also what age is best to get?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 09:56 by mollie15 »

colliebird

• Experienced Member
Re: Male or Female Ducks??
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 09:50 »
May be collecting some ducks today, perhaps 3 or 4 but should I get a male or not??  Any advice would be appreciated!  I want Silver Appleyards and hubby fancies some Khaki Campbells, can we mix them ok?

They'll mix fine as long as they have enough room.  The Khaki Campbells are very good layers and the Silver Appleyards are good all-rounders, they lay well and are good for their meat as well.  They are also quite pretty.
If you don't have a pond, use a kids sandpit filled with water.  Ducks need water, and they'll love splashing about in it.
Valerie

"The moral progress of a nation can be judged by the way it treats its animals" - Gandhi

Roll Roll

• Experienced Member
Re: Male or Female Ducks?? And one or two other questions!
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 11:51 »
What do you want the ducks for, meat or eggs??

If your only having 4, I would say their should be no more than 1 drake. to 3 ducks.

Appleyards and campbells will mix fine
I may take my time.....but i'll get there in the end.

STEVE

mollie15

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 13:02 »
Hi, I am having them as pets mainly and eggs of course although I do have 17 chickens so that doesnt mater too much.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 18:07 »
As said, a maximum of 1 male in 4 or the girls will just be bothered too much come spring. With just 4 I probably wouldn't bother with a boy unless you are thinking of hatching in the future. If you are looking for pets then I wouldn't recommend Campbells. They are very nervous and even those I have raised by hand from egg have been nervy round me! Silver Appleyards are much more chilled out. Mine has been a great layer and broody and despite getting her as an adult is less jumpy than the Campbells. The younger you get them and the more they are handled and used to you the friendlier they will be. The friendliest ducks I have are my Cayuga and his offspring. They run up to greet me at the backdoor when I come home (obviously nothing to do with treats, they are just glad to see me! Honest!). Welsh Harlequins are also a more calm than Campbells. Mine won't eat from my hand yet but I think that has more to do with the fact that the Cayugas don't give them a chance!
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

matilda duck

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 19:14 »
Oh Kate and here's me thinking I had my cayuga's well trained :lol: they love eating out of my hands and sometimes they go FOR my hand!  In a cutie duckie kind of way :tongue2:

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 19:21 »
Think it's the Patrick in them. Mine are lovely and Sarah's are really friendly too. Don't know if it is all Cayugas but it is definately Patrick babies!

xx
male or female

Started by lisa123 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 10, 2010, 22:58
by lisa123
xx
male or female

Started by dennis on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post November 22, 2010, 17:47
by jinty1911
xx
Male or Female?

Started by chloe on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 16, 2010, 18:13
by Caralou
xx
Male or Female? Opinion please...

Started by peachesandclive on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post June 14, 2008, 14:59
by blulagoo

Page created in 0.28 seconds with 38 queries.