Rules concerning allotment vacancies

• 26 Replies

Alec Powell

« on: January 27, 2007, 18:35 »
We seem to have a bit of a problem on our site regarding people waiting for plots.
Some holders refuse to give up un-cultivated plots on the reasoning that "I plan to get back to it some time and if I pay my rent then it's mine"
Can anyone who suffers the same problem suggest what is done on their sites?
Polite letters seem to to get nowhere and I am personally frustrated seeing keen newcomers having to wait for so long :!:
Alec Powell
Watlington
Oxfordshire
"Waiting For The Great Leap Forwards"

legendaryone

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 18:45 »
Our site is run by an association and you have to sign a tenancy agreement which has certain rules about untended plots. If you are late with rent for the plot or water by more than 40 days after the 1st of Jan they will sieze your plot, they will sieze your plot if you have broken your agreement i.e not tending to your plot, dumping rubbish etc.
But there is leeway if you do have difficulty i.e. an illness.

milkman

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 18:50 »
although we have an association our site is still managed by the local council as regards letting of plots.  for what must be three years they have failed miserably to remove bob-the-builder (who uses his plot as a dumping ground and dodgy bonfire site), so unfortunately am not able to offer you any positive advice!
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 19:09 »
Our council issue a 'Cultivate or Quit' notice that gives the holder  one month to go or put things right.  The rules, as a badly put together pdf can be found HERE

The pdf may be poor but the rules seem fairly well drawn up to me.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Eristic

• Experienced Member
    • http://downtheplot.com/index.php
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 19:15 »
Our site is quite strict now and at least twice a year they are all inspected. Any not being properly worked get served with non-cultivation orders and if  a follow-up inspection a month or so later reveals it still in an uncultivated state the notice to quit is served.

Most tenancy agreements have a clause stating that the land must be kept to a certain minimum standard. I would suggest that you read your agreement carefully (if you can find it) and remember, it is a legal doc and all the conditions are enforcable.

Each site tends to have slightly different rules so it is not possible to give a precise answer to the problem. As the popularity with allotments grows, so too will the pressure to evict anyone not taking their plot seriously.

beansticks

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 19:41 »
I have only been on our site for 3 years,when i joined there were 9 empty plots they are now all taken.Unfortunately the guy on the plot next to me does not do anything to his plot,i have only seen him 3 times in nearly 2 years.I have asked the secretary to serve him with a notice to quit,he refuses because the guy has paid his rent.The result is a weed infested plot with a couple of leeks here and there.IT MAKES ME MAD

muntjac

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2007, 19:49 »
work the plots or you are off you have to keep the weds under control or your off , moan moan moan until the commitees get off thier arses . or apply to go on the commitee to change the rules  ie tell them your gonna stand for election etc . basically moan moan moan
still alive /............

beansticks

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2007, 20:00 »
I think your right munty,our secretary has been in charge for ever apparently,though he constantly boasts about the site featuring on gardeners world back in the early 80s as the best kept allotment site and in those days you had to keep your plots spotless,seems to me he has lost his bite :(

muntjac

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2007, 20:01 »
there ya go .nail ya flag to the mast mate

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2007, 20:06 »
I think it's only fair when there are waiting lists to chuck off those who do not really want their plots but it's important to give some leeway to people. Illness can throw someone off for example. A good site rep (like the Blessed Larry on our site) will get to the reasons before pushing someone.

Axe Victim

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2007, 20:37 »
The only uncultivated plot on our site belonged to the saintly Robert, who passed away last year...it stands as mute testament to his loss...he was a lovely man.

:cry:
If life gives you lemons...wrap a dog turd in newspaper and set fire to it on Life's doorstep.

tully

• Experienced Member
uncultivated plots
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2007, 20:54 »
Im sorry I cant agree with most of you,  how would you like to betold how to arrange your plot, if  acceptable and sometimes the lotty is the only bit of inexpensive respite some people have. How can any of us say what is right and what is wrong...I go to the plot almost every day love it neat and tidy and have raised beds  but I have mine for my own reasons and I assume that the others who have plots and visit occasionally have good reason. I assume the old guys who keep broken glass !just in case, have reason.

I remember someone saying of a friend of mine, soap and water costs nowt   that person didnt suffer from depression like my friend who had lost all reason to care.

What really pees me off are the people on the plot who think its OK to criticise others in front of me assuming I am one of them just becuase I prefer my plot to grow veg.............comon guys liveand let live.
YOUR NEVER ALONE WITH A CABBAGE

legendaryone

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2007, 21:05 »
Most of us have signed an agreement and if you don't keep to it you should be evicted, there are other people who would love that plot in most cases. An allotment is for growing veg and some flowers and for keeping live stock, if you don't want to do that then you shouldn't have a plot.

GafferGamgee

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2007, 21:45 »
25% of the plot must be cultivated within 3 months of taking the tenancy, 75% within a year , if no good excuse someone else can have it

Fair enough to me.....
You can take a horse to water....but a pencil must be lead!!
(No chemicals ......yet!)

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2007, 00:18 »
tully, it's not a matter of them not keeping it neat enough - we're talking about people who take a plot on and just don't come and do anything so it becomes a mass of weeds blowing seed onto everyone elses plot.
If they don't come down to the site, they don't really want it, they're just keeping their option open.

xx
Allotment rules

Started by Babstreefern on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post January 09, 2011, 17:17
by Totty
xx
Help!-Council changing allotment rules

Started by farnsbarnes on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post May 17, 2009, 20:07
by digalotty
xx
New allotment rules - ponds allowed!

Started by DHM on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 09, 2018, 19:58
by Mr Dog
xx
Coriander rules ok

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post December 18, 2010, 14:08
by FERDY

Page created in 0.401 seconds with 38 queries.