Bed in the shade

• 5 Replies

Firstyear

Bed in the shade
« on: February 05, 2019, 17:16 »
Hi everyone,
This is my first post and I’m looking forward to learning from you all!

I have 3 new beds which I’ve plotted out and looking cant wait to plant up!
One of the beds 3mx1.25m, will be in the shade from around mid October/November time. I’ve planned the crops to clear by that time apart from parsnips and leeks which I will harvest as needed. I wondered if there is anything I can grow over winter in a shady bed? I’d planned to leave it fallow apart from the leeks/parsnips bu thought I’d ask your opinion? 

Missey

Re: Bed in the shade
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 18:33 »
Hello and welcome.

I'm sure someone with more experience & knowledge will be along shortly - I'd go for carrots/beets/brassicas & spuds

Happy planting
Missey

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 22:16 »
You could plant the following years Onions, garlic and shallots as some varieties are suited to overwintering.

Electric Red onions, Jermor & Golden Gourmet shallots, and Germidour & Carcassonne wight garlic all went in in mid Sept on my plot and they're doing fine.

You can get Swiss Chard Bright Lights through winter too but they might prefer more light.

Firstyear

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 23:10 »
Thank you! Will have a look into all of those, don’t think I will have time for carrots and beetroot as most crops won’t finish until sept/October, but onions and garlic might work well! I’ve never grown onions/garlic from an autumn sow- do they put on much growth in November or does most of it happen early spring?

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 23:40 »
Thank you! Will have a look into all of those, don’t think I will have time for carrots and beetroot as most crops won’t finish until sept/October, but onions and garlic might work well! I’ve never grown onions/garlic from an autumn sow- do they put on much growth in November or does most of it happen early spring?

They put a suprising amount of growth in before Christmas but can take a few weeks to get started, especially the onions. The first stage is putting roots into the ground, then the tops start poking through the soil. Some varietiez suit overwintering more than others so its worth putting a bit of research in.

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 13:27 »
I find that brassicas do well for me in part shade during summer so winter varieties may also be good. Spring onions and possibly kale and similar members of that family should also be ok to harvest over winter.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
To shade or not to shade.

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 13, 2021, 13:29
by Goosegirl
xx
Shade?

Started by sazzy123 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 11, 2010, 11:42
by sunshineband
xx
growing in the shade

Started by digalotty on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 16, 2010, 22:48
by digalotty
xx
Rhubarb in the shade?

Started by Sideways on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 22, 2008, 10:47
by Sideways

Page created in 0.298 seconds with 38 queries.