Mini poly tunnels / cloches - use of free plastic

• 2 Replies

TTG

Mini poly tunnels / cloches - use of free plastic
« on: March 09, 2010, 12:44 »
I've just taken on a plot end of last year and there were some stout wire arches on the plot. First thought a poly tunnel (or whatever you call something about 1.5foot high). I have lined up some large pallet bags from work (work never paid for them so I won't neither). I reckon slit lengthwise I would get about 2m of plastic tunnel out of each one.

I'm guessing use the stout wire underneath the plastic and normal wire over the top and tied to the stout wire to hold the plastic down. I guess anything that works is good enough. This way I could lift one side  up for airflow during the day with the other sidedown into the wind.

Anyone got any other ideas? I can get this tough, clear plastic pallet bags but is there any other use for them in an allotment context? I hate to waste a free source of anything. I was wondering if it could be used to collect water as there is no shed on my plot and no installed water source. I'm figuring opening it out on the ground and running it into a funnel into some pipe that runs down to a water but slightly lower. Perhaps a bit too fiddly.

Any better ideas?

Also, what else can stainless steel hex mesh be used for other than fences? Don't ask how I got it but I have probably 100m or more of the stuff!  ;)

noshed

Re: Mini poly tunnels / cloches - use of free plastic
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 12:49 »
I use that plastic from work. It lasts about 2 years before getting brittle and breaking. But dead handy and free.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

boosh

Re: Mini poly tunnels / cloches - use of free plastic
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 07:56 »
The stainless hex mess.................nice

If you have a means of cutting it, i would use it for Fruit cages and cut into panels for putting round your brasicas etc,
The pigeons would need TNT to get throu that, and its easy to attach netting too( tie wraps) to stop the mini marauders.
infact you could slightly bury it into the ground (couple of inchs) and use tie wraps to secure the corners, and a mesh over the top,

xx
Mini Cloches

Started by 2peasinapod on Frugal Living

1 Replies
Last post April 07, 2011, 15:34
by gillian62
xx
Small poly tunnels, garden netting, seeds +

Started by hayles62 on Frugal Living

1 Replies
Last post January 16, 2007, 11:16
by noshed
xx
Anyone made cloches ect from plastic bottles

Started by Madame Cholet on Frugal Living

9 Replies
Last post May 01, 2015, 14:05
by tosca100
xx
Gardeners Cloches - buy 1 get 2 free

Started by arugula on Frugal Living

1 Replies
Last post August 11, 2011, 20:52
by Nige2Plots

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 39 queries.