Brussel Sprouts

• 7 Replies

vanessa.xx

• Experienced Member
Brussel Sprouts
« on: May 04, 2013, 16:54 »
Hi what size do Brussel sprouts need to be before to can plant them out, i sowed them in a tray in the unheated greenhouse on 18th march and they are about 4 inches high and have 5 proper leaves. I have been hardening them off because the greenhouse is way too hot for them now but they still look too small to go into the great outdoors :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Brussel Sprouts
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 18:41 »
They are plenty big enough to go out.

Remember all leafy brassicas like really solid ground, so tread it down well before you plant them and tread them in then too.

Lots of chicken poo pellets raked in around them, a net to stop butterflies and they'll be just fine

Easy to remember about the ground: fluffy soil = fluffy sprouts  :lol:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 19:25 »
And protect them from pigeons!

vanessa.xx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 19:39 »
ok fab I will plant them out in the next couple of days I have a debris netted area with calabrese in as well, I've been trying to firm down the soil I've been stomping it  :blink: hopefully that will be ok

seaside

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 20:11 »
Well, I've looked into the Brussels thing. Last year they were hopeless for me, all blown, and I have to say looking around the allotment site, worryingly most people had blown buttons too, even though our soil is roughly neutral.

So this year I have done everything by the book, dug in the Autumn when I added well rotted horse manure that had been used to grow squashes elsewhere for a year. Have fastidiously not disturbed the soil for 6 months. Have just planted healthy 5" high plants now up to the hilt in extremely firm ground, with a sprinkling of garden lime in the vicinity. They're under enviromesh for now, well watered, the temperature is looking good, but I have 10 tons of fleece should I require it for the odd evening. I don't know what more I can do. Space is at a premium, and I have a feeling that Brussels might be a bit of an allotment prima donna crop in the way parsnips are at the germination stage, and if I have another bad crop with the amount of space they take up, they'll be history in the future. Next door had a pretty good crop last year as it happens, and he said he's a F1 man so I have gone for green marble F1, with a few Evesham.

Armleywhite

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 20:29 »
They are plenty big enough to go out.

Remember all leafy brassicas like really solid ground, so tread it down well before you plant them and tread them in then too.Lots of chicken poo pellets raked in around them, a net to stop butterflies and they'll be just fine

Easy to remember about the ground: fluffy soil = fluffy sprouts  :lol:

Thats good to know, thanks.  I didn't know that at all.  Planting mine out on Mon and was digging the area over today.  Me and my Lad will have to get our walking boots on :)

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 19:32 »
I have grown small but edible sprouts with F1's.
I have never done any good with ordinary ones. They always blow when I grow them.

vanessa.xx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 23:39 »
Thank you everyone I planted them today stomped the ground first and heeled them in then gave them lots of chicken poo pellets they are in a debris netted cage with calabrese and swede which is just beginning to show 😄

xx
Brussel Sprouts

Started by brahma1965 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 13, 2008, 16:21
by gobs
xx
Brussel Sprouts

Started by avb on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 19, 2011, 22:02
by avb
xx
brussel sprouts

Started by potatogrower on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post February 10, 2011, 19:19
by JohnB47
xx
Brussel sprouts

Started by Mash Mad on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 01, 2009, 19:00
by South Downs Wayer

Page created in 0.33 seconds with 35 queries.