URGENT HELP PLEASE!!!! My dogs attacked my chickens

• 58 Replies

Carla

• Experienced Member
Re: URGENT HELP PLEASE!!!! My dogs attacked my chickens
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2010, 11:03 »

You're right Pauline, it wasnt very secure, which was the reason I left the dog in the garden  :blush:  At night, when they're totally locked away, they're quite safe, but during the day, its not so secure. I now have a big padlock on the door that Maisy (the lab) will never break.
To try and explain, I've got a coop with 3 metre run attatched, inside a huge run, that is  fenced off with 6ft fences 2 sides and weld mesh (or whatever its called) 6ft high around the other 2 sides. The dog got in over the bit I use to climb in and out. My own fault for thinking she would just watch them. And bless her, she was only playing, but her massive feet, compared to my scrawny chooks, was no contest :(
The run is now sorted and hopefully safe as houses.
Horse and bolted comes to mind!!!
Many pets, a bloke and 2 kids....help!!!

Jeanette

« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2010, 11:07 »
I am so sorry that you have lost Sue it is heartbreaking when it happens. It sounds like the others are doing really well and they are laying eggs again.
All chickens are beautifull and if we have got dogs it could have happenend to any of us so we all feel for you. Keep up the good work you are doing a fantastic job. Jeanette XX

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2010, 21:36 »
We are all wise in hindsight Carla  ;)  Glad your other girls are doing so well.  Keep an eye on the wounds but they should be fine if they have got this far  :)

Sassy

« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2010, 10:15 »
I have been away and have only just caught up with this thread. If you haven't got the purple spray etc wounds can always be cleaned with salt water. This is what most vets use and then anti-biotics etc. It is not infallible but is a first line of defence.

I'm sorry about your chooks and know that this advice is too late for you but hope that others read it. :(
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2010, 11:21 »
Good thinking Sassy, I dare say this thread will be very useful in the future for other unfortunate chicken addicts. The reamining 3 chickens are doing really well. I've been cleaning the wounds every day with germolene wound wash, and it seems to be doing the trick. No signs of infection, no idea how Flo's wounds have healed because they were really bad, keeping an extra close eye on her, the second there's and warmth or redness, off to the vets I go (again!!)
THey're laying like crazy, eating non-stop and bullying poor nellie again, so they are back to their old selves :) :) :)

chickadizzle

« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2010, 19:57 »
hey all your comments have been so helpfull to me as last night/this morning my ferrets got out of their usally very secure (unless your as strong as our new very strong ferret) cage, our new ferret bryan decided to go for a wonder stumbling across my 5 girls in their run now there has been a ferret chicken incident before but seeing as the chickens did more damage to the ferret i wasnt too worried but this time bryan was very unforgiving it has devistated me but reading through your comments has really helped and the girls will be fine soon part from betty who wasnt so lucky i am assuming because she is the top girl that she tried to deffend her sisters and possiblt philip tried to help cos she had blood on her but no wounds i have also heard that music is good for calming them down and will be trying this too x x

jinty1911

« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2010, 20:24 »
Well I kinda get the feeling that pet ferrets and chickens dont mix?  :wub:
Jinty

chickadizzle

« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2010, 20:29 »
well i live in the country and that is the kinda pet we have i dont keep them together they both have normally got very secure homes and runs and we are very carefull with them both there is a big distance between the two animals and our ferrets are normally barring our new one who hasnt been handled as much as the others as we havent had him long very tame i came on here for help

orchardlady

« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2010, 22:17 »
It's always very distressing when a dog/ferret get's hold of a chicken. All we can say to ourselves is that we will have to up our game. My problem was my dogs getting hold of hens that flapped over into the garden. I've sorted the problem now as I'm sure you will with your new ferret...stronger wire I should think. We are responsible for the health and well being of our animals both carnivore killers and clucky hens and it's our job to care for them as vigilantly as possible. As long as we learn by our mistakes. :)

evie2

« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2010, 11:47 »
I love ferrets and have had 8 at one time, they love human company and they are fabulous pets :D

I also love my chickens, cats, snake and rabbits.  When we last had ferrets we also had house rabbits who were always put back in the house hutch when the ferrets came in.

Ferrets are very happy inquisitive wee things who are top escape artists so accidents do happen but we live and learn :D

How many have you got Chickadizzle?
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

viper

« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2010, 17:39 »
be very carefull where you put your girls as chickens will eat each other  I had a chicken that hurt her leg and then was pecked down to the bone with a clean and a bit of TLC she was ok they are stronger than you think

chickadizzle

« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2010, 08:09 »
hey i have got 7 ferrets and yes they are amazing pets and yes they are very good at escaping but we have only EVER had it twice tho the first time was when we put them into thier newish home that we built for the first time and we watched litterly for hours to see where they would get out from and the lifted the roof of the lean to up :s we soon sorted that out i love all my animals and yes i have learned from my mistakes its so distressing i also have a lurcher who . . . is scared of the chicken lol they chased him when they had full run of the garden
thanks everyone x

evie2

« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2010, 12:53 »
One of our gills used to get out and come to the front door and scratch to get in and our hoblet would have a swim in the pond :lol:

It's such a shame they get such a bad press :(

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2010, 19:37 »
Hey chickadizzle :)
I was beyond gutted when my dog had the chooks, but I was equally amazed at how well and quickly they healed!!  CHickens really are marvelous creatures, their wounds were (in my eyes) horrific, and I was totally convinced they were bad enough to kill them ,or they'd get infected and finish the girls off. But no, nothing, I just kept spraying every day with germolene wound wash and they healed perfectly and now you'd never know it had happened. Physically and mentally, the girls are fine :)
SO dont feel bad, there's always someone here who will pipe up with a negative comment when you're looking for help and comfort, but let it wash over you.
Ferrets are cool animals, wish I wasnt so allergic to em, otherwise I'd have me a few myself.  You live and learn so they say and I'm sure no more ferret/chicken shinannegans will be happening in your garden xx

sad
my chickens got attacked

Started by chickadizzle on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post November 03, 2010, 20:24
by chickadizzle
xx
Chickens attacked

Started by henrys.hens on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 14:55
by henrys.hens
xx
Chickens attacked

Started by Mrs Mant on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 22, 2010, 15:57
by Flowerpower136
xx
chickens attacked by Harris Hawk

Started by chook mother on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post November 02, 2011, 14:17
by freebirdy

Page created in 0.287 seconds with 37 queries.