Is a plastic box ok as homemade brooder?

• 6 Replies

HairyBear

Is a plastic box ok as homemade brooder?
« on: August 13, 2009, 12:50 »
Hoping upon hope that the 4 eggs in my incubator are going to hatch over the next couple of days.  HAd read that I could use a plastic box as the initial brooder before eventually moving them outside.  My mum (not experienced hen keeper, but a wise old bird nevertheless) said she thought this might get a bit 'sweaty'.

Should I be sourcing something else at this short notice?

Perhaps an old wooden drawer?  Cardboard box?

HairyBear

Re: Is a plastic box ok as homemade brooder?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 12:51 »
OOhh, and I forgot to ask. Was planning on using some jar lids as drinkers/feeders (marbles in water lid to prevent drowning). Is this ok?

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 12:53 »
Hello!
I have various brooders all made of plastic, in fact the littlest chicks are in a big plastic curver box with heat lamp! easy to clean, keeps out draughts and keeps them snuggly!
Debbie
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HairyBear

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 12:55 »
Thanks Chickenlady  :D

poppies

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 13:56 »
Hi as chickenlady said the curver boxes make excellent brooders I also used to use one of the indoor rabbit  cages, coffee jar lids with a few marbles make good drinkers .

dont forget to put something down on the plastic like toweling to stop the chicks slipping and getting splayed legs -dislocated hips

hillfooter

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 14:45 »
Just be careful they aren't too slippery for the chicks.  They are very unsteady on their legs to start with and can cause permanent injury if they do the splits!   Use a good covering of shavings.  You won't want to put them outside until 4 to 5 weeks when they can be quite large and active.  You'll need higher sides of 15inches plus or a net or mesh cover.  Is your plastic box going to be ok with the heat lamp?

Personally I'd prefer a chick drinker as jam jar tops can be tipped up and spilt wetting the litter and also it's easy for the chicks to walk over and foul.  As your chicks get bigger you are going to need to raise the drinker and marbles & jam pot lids are a false economy.

Regards
Truth through science.

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 09:08 »
I used a plastic box to good effect this year. It was great as it was easy to keep clean. I used newspaper with kitchen roll on to start with as the paper on its own is too slippy when they're tiny. I also used coffee jar lids for the water but did not fill them. When they are very small they are not heavy enough to tip them up - or at least that was my experience. As they get bigger you will need to find something more appropriate as Hillfooter says.
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
homemade brooder

Started by samuria on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post June 23, 2013, 17:21
by Tigerwren
xx
Why brooder?

Started by Alec Powell on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 07, 2010, 20:01
by joyfull
xx
How much to run gas brooder

Started by poppies on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post October 19, 2008, 15:34
by poppies
xx
Temperature for Brooder?

Started by RobH on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post April 28, 2010, 20:27
by Nails

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 28 queries.