Broad beans

• 12 Replies

noshed

Broad beans
« on: June 02, 2006, 11:17 »
Can you eat broad beans in the pod when they're little? Or would they be too furry. I'm pleased to say mine are about 70mm long now and looking very tempting, the only thing is I didn't plant them, I inherited them. But I have encouraged them with uplifting remarks.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Broad beans
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 11:33 »
I've never tried eating the pod but the small ones, blanched for a couple of minutes and allowed to cool go well in a salad. Full of protein as well.

I think I'm right that beans have more protein than steak pound for pound.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Lesley Jay

• http://www.vegetable-gardens.co.uk/forum
Broad beans
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 11:49 »
Apparently you can eat the pod. Use them young about 4 to 5 inches in length and cut into one inch lengths. Cook for 10 minutes. The fluff disappears during cooking.

Jake

• Rockers
Broad beans
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 12:09 »
You should eat pineapple after eating lightly cooked or raw beans. The protiens in beans are sometimes hard to digest. The bromaline in pineapple helps to break them down a little making them easy to digest and thus prevents wind. :)

I think I read that in a Readers Digest book about food. It does seem to work.

I also heard you can pinch the tips off the top of plants and eat them, I haven't tried this yet.
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

supersprout

• Experienced Member
Broad beans
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2006, 15:34 »
Yes noshed, I eat all my broadies young - about the size of my little finger or smaller. You can't buy them in the shops! I treat them like mangetout and eat them pods and all, raw or cooked. This time of year, I have them in a warm salad with new potatoes, red onion and anchovies - all home grown (not the anchovies :shock: ) My mother taught me to eat them like this. If any 'get away' I eat them large at the end of the season.

noshed

Broad beans
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 11:42 »
Thanks a lot - the anchovy version sounds lovely. Also when you blanch them for freezing (podded) how long for is it just a quick dunk in boiling water or a couple of minutes?

James

• Experienced Member
Broad beans
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 09:41 »
If you're having to peel the green off the broad beans to get the 'beans' out, then they're growing too old.  Young beans, choopped up and lightly steamed - just like runner beans.  Eat them raw too.  On the digestion front, you're not eating raw beans... you're mostly eating the green around them.

And the tops are excellent - cooked just like spinach.  Take them off when young and you won't be troubled by blackfly either - double whammy!

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Broad beans
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006, 10:03 »
Quote from: "noshed"
Thanks a lot - the anchovy version sounds lovely. Also when you blanch them for freezing (podded) how long for is it just a quick dunk in boiling water or a couple of minutes?

Take a look at the storing the surplus articles - I put a blanching time chart in there which you can download and print as well.

We were going to try drying this year but I never got round to building the dryer (or fixing a cupboard door my wife shouts out!)

milkman

Broad beans
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2006, 14:33 »
or building your greenhouse!!!
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Broad beans
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2006, 15:42 »
That's it milkman, stick the knofe in. I bet noshed put you up to it :)

noshed

Broad beans
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2006, 22:57 »
Crikey - a persecution complex, it's only because of your role as guru... Anyway, I've turned over a new leaf now - I'm going to post pictures of the true and unexpurgated story of plot 50A.
Which will include the little-known fact that much of the police interest in the population of E17 recently has centered round our allotments! If you look behind all the shots on the tele you can probably see my grapevine.
I fear for my shed. I hope they don't get a whiff of my comfrey tea or it'll be extreme rendition.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Broad beans
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2006, 09:34 »
You're only paranoid if they're not plotting against you!

I'm no guru - just an allotment holder. There are much better growers out there than me.  

So, what's going on in E17 - I hardly watch the news, it depresses me. I believe you're only allowed on an airplane now if you travel dressed in a clear plastic bag because there was a plot to hijack a plane with a bottle of Fanta.

noshed

Broad beans
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2006, 10:19 »
Shows how dangerous those additives can be.
We're surrounded by police and TV cameras at the moment. I nearly got interviewed on my way back from the plot on Sunday. I could have shown them my cucumbers, but perhaps not.

xx
Broad beans

Started by cc on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post October 11, 2022, 22:30
by Subversive_plot
xx
broad beans

Started by chickpeacurry on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post July 19, 2015, 15:34
by lettice
xx
Broad beans

Started by Dreadlock on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post August 17, 2007, 19:15
by Dreadlock
xx
Broad beans

Started by rictic on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post January 13, 2010, 19:08
by rictic

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 38 queries.