Creative food brains needed!

• 15 Replies

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
Creative food brains needed!
« on: August 22, 2014, 14:25 »
My sister was diagnosed with Chrohn's about a year ago and although medication has helped she still has very bad periods. This week she had proper food intolerance tests and she is intolerant to almost everything! Her dietician has told her she has to cut out all the major ones for the next 3 months and then go back to see what the next step is.

We are struggling to know what she can eat! She has to cut out:

Gluten
Potatoes
Tomatoes and peppers in any form
Cows milk

She also has to limit the amount of tuna, salmon and chick peas as she has mild intolerances to these.

She doesn't really eat beef although will eat minced beef. She is realising she may have to try and eat it though!

So far we have home made burgers in gluten free buns, stir fry with gluten free soy sauce, rice and rice noodles are ok...

She is a very social person and is worrying about finding foods to eat in restaurants as well :(

snowdrops

Re: Creative food brains needed!
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 17:02 »
My husband has ulcerative colitis, which is like crohns but in the large bowel. He is dairy free & really knows if he slips up. We get dairy free puds,soya milks etc. you can get rice pasta,tesco's is good, I have it sometimes because of IBS.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 22:46 by snowdrops »
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 22:44 »
Being gluten free is tough as there is gluten in a lot of things and gluten free food isn't cheap.
Some peeps I know used to get sort of dietary vouchers because of their condition - don't know if this still exists or how you access it? GP or dietician might know.

Almond milk is dairy free and very tasty.

How about rice dishes - risotto or paella with chicken and vegetables? There must be a dairy free something or other to make it creamy???

Salads with chicken.
Gluten free pasta dishes - using pesto rather than tomato sauces
Omelettes?

Brain is worn out now!! :D

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 22:50 »
Yes there is a dairy cream that's not too bad. Should get gluten free & other stuff on prescription. Forgot to say coffee affects hubby's bowel. Have a look for the Carol Vorderman detox book all wheat, yeast,dairy free. Also meat free but you could add it back in. Or there's quite a few wheat free books. Phil vickers does some. I'll try & have a look what I've got when I get a minute

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 22:52 »
A lady I used to work with had celiac and she got gluten free foods - flour, bread etc. on prescription.

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 22:52 »
That's it - it's on prescription!
I knew there was something but I haven't worked with that girl in over 10 years :)

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 23:27 »
Ooh I didn't know about prescription - will look into it for her as I know the cost is worrying her as well. I can just see her living I rice and chicken which isn't healthy either :(

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 00:59 »
Chicken and rice can be healthy with lots of veg and some mild spices and herbs.
With a health problem like Crohns and food intolerances, you have to be a magician with food and make do with what you can eat.

It may be that she can re-introduce the milder intolerances later on, once the body has had a rest from it.

Can she eat soya protein? you can make yummy meals with that. It does make you bit windy though - or that might just be me!! :lol:

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2014, 04:45 »
If sis has a larger Tesco there is a huge range of dairy and other things-free ingredients available in the chillers. Everything will be n the home shopping site so she can look at home rather than hanging around the chillers or baking aisle. Maybe other stores too.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 08:28 »
She's had a bit of a look already - lots of things are 'gluten free' or 'dairy free' but the amount of things that are both are limited.

Her favourite 2 foods are cheese and chocolate so she is hoping cows milk will be something she can reintroduce fairly quickly as apparently the dairy free stuff just tastes like cooking chocolate. At least goats cheese and halloumi are ok I suppose!

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2014, 10:28 »
Cheese will be difficult to do without. Over here you can only get decent cheese in major supermarkets (which we go to rarely) or in Lidl when they have a UK promotion. So I know that she will probably struggle with this and will have to change cheddar for goat or sheep cheese, (we can sometimes get that on promotion) but there are good ones out there. The reason I know what Tesco Extra sells is that I worked there for ten years and in home shopping for five, so knew all lines and used to use alternatives as I don't like cheddar 'raw'. That's why I said to look on line as it is easy to miss things especially when you don't know where they are. Then go armed with a list and ask. Same with dry goods, my MIL is celiac so I did a dig into gluten free....but she gets so much on prescription I gave up trying to get her enthusiastic about cooking. ::)

Good luck to sis, there is plenty out there for alternative diets, it's just a case of finding it. I wish I had the choice, what I would give for a couple of hours in Tesco. :D

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2014, 13:02 »
Thanks tosca. She has looked into the prescription thing this morning and apparently it is for coeliacs only although they will sometimes do it for those with 'severe intolerances'. As hers counts as pretty severe she is going to speak to the dietician on Tuesday to see what she says - fingers crossed! In the mean time she has signed up for some free hampers from the companies that provide the prescription foods so that's something.

I've also been looking and the paleo diet seems like it cuts out most things she can't eat so I'm going to get her a book on that for some ideas. Think she's going to have to learn to cook more and maybe have a less hectic lifestyle to allow for it

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2014, 14:08 »
Paleo sounds a good route to follow ;)

Snoop

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2014, 14:35 »
Paleo sounds a good route to follow ;)

Agreed. It was my first thought.

gypsy

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2014, 17:23 »
Ilumi foods do a huge variety of ready made meals in pouches. Order on line, all free from all kinds of things, you can just type in what to avoid and it will give you a list with pictures of meals that are ok.
Catherine

xx
Food processors

Started by Elaine G on Kitchen Natter

7 Replies
Last post August 25, 2017, 19:39
by LILLILEAF
clip
Food waste - I think I might have a problem…

Started by New shoot on Kitchen Natter

21 Replies
Last post December 30, 2023, 16:43
by wighty
xx
Food vacuum sealer

Started by jambop on Kitchen Natter

7 Replies
Last post January 25, 2021, 20:51
by Aunt Sally
xx
Any one got Harry Mcgee on food and cooking

Started by Madame Cholet on Kitchen Natter

10 Replies
Last post March 15, 2015, 21:49
by Madame Cholet

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 38 queries.