Killing-off tree stumps

• 13 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Killing-off tree stumps
« on: May 17, 2018, 15:02 »
I've just spent all morning taking down half a dozen elder trees, the roots of which threatened to undermine an old wooden stable block. The stumps are about 9 inches in diameter. I realise that there are specially formulated stump-killing chemicals I can buy but in trying to save myself a trip to an out of town farming supplier, I wondered if any of the following might do the trick if very carefully dribbled into holes drilled into the top of the stumps around and parallel to the inner bark: Glyphosate concentrate, creosote substitute or diesel oil. I'm not daft enough to get any of the above into the soil and would only  use minimal quantities. Oh and it's my own land too.

lettice

Re: Killing-off tree stumps
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 15:46 »
Remember this was discussed a few years back.
Might be worth a look.
Tree stump killer in Grow Your Own - Page 1 of 1

Lardman

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 15:51 »
Chainsaw and mattock handy?  Cross hatch them to just below the soil line and give the pegs a smack or pry them over. Cover with soil and leave for nature to sort it out.  :) Just mind the soil with the tip.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 15:57 »
Yes,I note that back then  I'd been advised to try Copper Sulphate or Jeye's Fluid (of which I have none) or glyphosate which I have somewhere. Unless there are any better thoughts, I'll go down the glyphosate route. Believe me Lardman, cross-hatching them and covering them doesn't work with elder

grinling

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 21:28 »
Copper nails hammered in. (ebay)
If drilling with other stuff cover with wax afterwards.

rowbow

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2018, 10:11 »
Drill holes in the stump then fill with Epson salts.  :D

pigeonpie

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2018, 10:58 »
Glyphosate is really effective, but I know someone who swears by drilling holes and pouring a little paraffin in each.

Otherwise I've also heard of pennies and twopences being hammered in, I'm guessing it works the same as th copper nails.

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2019, 07:01 »
Sorry to resurrect this post, but did you get anywhere with these methods, Alan?

We've got two apple tree stumps about 4" high, and I'd like to flatten them somehow!

jezza

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2019, 12:08 »
Hello a company called LBS hotticulyymural supplies sells specially formulated glyphosate for tree stump killing it's in like s syringe holes are drilled with a drill supplied then the syringe hammered in it's slow release  jezza

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2019, 20:21 »
Sorry to resurrect this post, but did you get anywhere with these methods, Alan?

We've got two apple tree stumps about 4" high, and I'd like to flatten them somehow!
Yes, on one I used concentrated glyphosate dribbled into holes drilled vertically around the bark line. In another two I used neat Jeyes fluid. Both methods worked

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2019, 20:44 »
Thanks Alan!

Much as I used to like 'George and Mildred' (our two apple trees), they had to go, and I'd like to flatten their sites so I can mow over them...

I hope they'll understand..:0(

jezza

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2019, 06:58 »
Hello how big are the stumps?if you want rid of them quickly pop to your local hire shop and hire a stump grinder they'll both be gone in less than 2 hours and the grinder is about the same cost as 5liyres of glyphosate but more effective

Growster...

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2019, 18:20 »
Hello how big are the stumps?if you want rid of them quickly pop to your local hire shop and hire a stump grinder they'll both be gone in less than 2 hours and the grinder is about the same cost as 5liyres of glyphosate but more effective

Makes sense, Jezza - thank you!

jezza

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2019, 21:49 »
Hello apparently apple is good for smoking food on barbecues hire a grinder have a barbecue and use the findings for smoking the meat   jezza

xx
Killing mice?

Started by infowarrior on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post February 16, 2014, 19:34
by 8doubles
xx
Christmas tree chippings

Started by redhat on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post January 09, 2008, 16:53
by redhat

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 52 queries.