artificial lighting

• 21 Replies

MontyTom

• Experienced Member
artificial lighting
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2007, 22:30 »
could exhchange you some dorking, cream legbar, welsummer, RIR or light sussex?  pm me when time comes.

chickychick

• Experienced Member
artificial lighting
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2007, 19:30 »
I would be interested to know if you get any more eggs from adding the little bit of extra light, so please keep us informed, I cant think it will hurt just adding an hour a day to the light levels?? quite clever adding a solar panel etc however I hope the cost of the set up will result in some eggs your obviously really missing the eggs  :D
ok so I know its a daft question but Im cute ......

muntjac

artificial lighting
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2007, 19:40 »
as you know i had 180 + and i wouldnt ever consider getting in extra lighting for the birds  even tho i did try it and dump it soon after . they need a good rest time in winter thats why it works that way using lighting no matte how you do it is not cost effective for such small numbers ,.and also bear in mind the mass battery hen system doesnt pay the same price for electricity as you do in any way .it sosts about £2000 a year to heat and light a 10.000 hen house , the heating side is taken over only when the temp falls through bad outside weather .the birds provide a massive amount of heat themselves
. grannie is absolutly right in her post in pointing out that for small flocks it is unecaasary and no matter which way you look at it ,your messing with the birds natural rythm   :wink:
still alive /............

MontyTom

• Experienced Member
artificial lighting
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2007, 22:50 »
all the stuff i have already, but the bits I had to pay for equate to about £45.  all up and running ok tonight.

karl, how many eggs did you get per day on average over winter with 180+ birds?  bet it was more than my zero from 20+.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
artificial lighting
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2007, 23:00 »
Is this their first of second winter Monty, did you say if they have been moulting, Is their natural light conditions good,  do they spend all daylight hour outdoors, not in the shade.

Sorry if these questions have been answered already  :oops:

MontyTom

• Experienced Member
artificial lighting
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2007, 23:18 »
mixture of birds - some first year, some second.  not a lot of shade with leaves off trees now, unless they go into shed, but that too has a lot of light.  most have gone through a moult it seems (apart from this years' stock).

will let you know if light improves anything.

muntjac

artificial lighting
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2007, 00:17 »
i had eggs  of course but that was the way of things and honestly it was not any great shakes i had less than 40 most days ,the birds that layed were not the birds that should have ,it was my dam buffs and they neeed 3 egs to make a grade 1 chuck egg :wink:

xx
Artificial Grass

Started by beth123 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 16, 2011, 17:01
by bantam novice
xx
Lack of eggs and artificial autumn/spring

Started by Roughlee Handled on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 27, 2009, 21:21
by Chookiechook
xx
lighting

Started by beth123 on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post November 21, 2010, 21:19
by Fisherman
xx
run lighting advice

Started by loretta cluck on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 27, 2012, 11:15
by nuzuki

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 38 queries.