New member & the first question - Merry Tiller Rotovators

• 11 Replies

The Herbs

Just found this site whilst looking for some information........

We are not new (new) allotmenteers, but now have 1/4 of an acre to play with....so we are looking to invest in a decent petrol rotovator....

Could someone please tell me how much i should be looking to pay for a merry Tiller/Titan in good working order, there are a few about but seem to be going for high prices......

Andy
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 18:53 by The Herbs »

philskin

Re: New member & the first question - Merry Tiller Rotovators
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 19:03 »
gwiz will be along shortly he,s the man in the know ,looks a lot like sid james .welcome by the way
If the early bird gets the worm how come the 2nd mouse to the trap gets the cheese ??

The Herbs

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 19:26 »
Thanks very much...looks like discovering this site will be a godsend......i'm sure we'll have some more questions later....

Andy

dorimower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 19:42 »
Hello,

....and then there is R Tallentire ..who is able to provide some independant support for things MT   http://www.merrytiller.co.uk

In your quest for info on Merry Tiller do be aware that model names, such as Titan etc, have been re used through the years on distinct changes to the basic design style....in a similar way that car manufacturers re use model names.

All the best,

"Dori"

Gwiz

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 05:57 »
Unfortunatly, The Merry tillers, and every-other rotovator, are fetching silly money at present. I've been keeping an eye on Ebay for a while now, and have had to laugh over what is being spent on machines the purchser hasn't been able to look at before bidding.
Would you not consider buying something a little newer? because of the economic situation, There are some good deals around in the shops, AND you get a warranty.....
We have a link to a good website on the homepage of this website. Thats a good place to start looking.
Honda are every bit as good as the M.T. So that might be an alternative for you.

As for prices on the secondhand kit, It's very difficult to say. I bought mine for about £75. I would have gone up to around £150, but I did know the machine was in good working order, just needed a service. :)

I hope that helps.
all the best in your Quest ;)

The Herbs

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 08:13 »
Thanks ever so much gents for taking the time to reply,  if you have time to give me an idea of what sort of machine i should be looking for i would be very grateful indeed, as i know next to * all about what would be a good machine for my allotment.......

All of the Honda machines seem to be around the £400 mark for a 4-5hp unit, didn't really want to spend that much.......

I have a 1/4 acre allotment, 1/3 of which is orchard, soil is fairly well drained and plenty of shingle mixed in....no clay.......and just ploughed......

Andy

The Herbs

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 20:11 »
This is definately one for GWIZ.....(I think)

I have just acquired a Merry Tiller Super Major
But it needs a belt...model No is 3424/3429

belt appears to be 47" or (1200mm for you euro wotsits)

Could someone tell me what belt Part No i need to order please.....

Thanks in advance......

Andy
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 19:43 by The Herbs »

Gwiz

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 05:24 »
If you pop along to here...
http://www.bearing-supplies.co.uk/
and go to belt drives. follow the links, and you ought to find what you are looking for.... ;)

philskin

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 06:51 »
If you pop along to here...
http://www.bearing-supplies.co.uk/
and go to belt drives. follow the links, and you ought to find what you are looking for.... ;)

gwiz you is the main man

dorimower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 07:03 »
And/Or take a look here ;).... http://www.merrytiller.co.uk/spares1.htm

It may take some working through due to re use of model names through distinct design types...if in doubt it may pay to talk to R. Tallentire (the MT site owner who does post on here).

All the best,

"Dori"

dorimower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 17:28 »
By chance today my work took me to a local long established service agent...whose parts books I got to have a look at...;)

MT model 3424 was shown as a Super Major of the design series that used pressed steel angled plates to form the chassis rather than earlier, and later machines, that had actual "angle iron" as the chassis engine rails.  I believe this to be 1978 to early 1980s
 The drive belt shown for 3424 was listed with original Wolseley part number as ECO192A....at some time the agent had written alongside this entry more recent part numbers of MT329 and newer still W28093.

I could not find a ref to model 3429 in the collection of parts books that he had in the file.

All the best,
            "Dori"

The Herbs

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 19:42 »
Many thanks to Dori & gwiz,
hope i have found the correct belt now....should arrive in a day or two, will let you all know if i was lucky and got the correct bit......

xx
merry tiller question

Started by bigsprouts on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post June 23, 2007, 23:05
by bigsprouts
xx
merry tiller and mantis tiller - compare/contrast?

Started by mushroom on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post July 17, 2007, 05:17
by Gwiz
xx
Merry tiller ?

Started by freyaluck on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post February 24, 2007, 08:54
by Bigbadfrankie
xx
merry tiller

Started by sam51 on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post March 10, 2016, 08:13
by R Tallentire

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 40 queries.