New to this forum? Not sure how to do things? Check out the help

Foriegner

• 7 Replies

Jade Storm

Foriegner
« on: January 03, 2021, 18:12 »
Greetings,

I'm from New York, USA. I noticed this seems to be a UK gardening site, but you've attracted a foreign species and I might just plant myself here. I guess we'll see. Hopefully you won't mind an American.

After briefly trying to calculate how old I was, I remembered that I was 28 years old. I've lived on farm all my life, but after the barns collapsed we gave up on cows. But we've got chickens. We've got about 22 acres of land. We're zone 6; but I always buy plants for zone 4 (occasionally zone 5 if I'm desperate) I live near the Great Lakes and am about a twenty minute drive from Niagara Falls.

I've been trying to enhance my gardening skills. My parents did a lot of the gardening, but now that they're getting a bit older they're letting my sister and I take more control of the gardening. Li Ziqi is my inspiration.

I bought 17 fruit trees this year, 10 grape vines, 6 hardy kiwi, and have been addicting to buying seeds. We also got a 6x8ft greenhouse this year for $200 USD from my dad's work. (There was a sale and I got his discount)

I do canning and dehydrating mostly. Made my own vinegar this year so I can do pickling next year. But I'm having trouble getting canning lids, so I'm now converting to reuseable canning lids. I hear it's a learning curve with those so I'll be testing them out with jelly first, that way if the lids pop it's not critical seeing that sugar is its own preservative.

Mmmmm, that's pretty much it for now.

- Jade
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 18:22 by Jade Storm »

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
Re: Foriegner
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2021, 18:34 »
Hello and welcome Jade,

You are correct this is a predominently UK based site, but we don't shun those from other corners of the world!

Note to others: I have friends in New York and I can translate American to English as a free service ;)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2021, 19:26 »
Hi Jade and welcome  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2021, 19:54 »
Welcome from me as well :)
It would help us if you could add your location to your profile, so that we know you aren't in the UK when replying to any questions you may ask.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2021, 20:14 »
Welcome to the forums  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

AndyRVTR

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2021, 12:36 »
Hi Jade, welcome yo the madhouse  :)

mrs bouquet

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2021, 14:41 »
Hi Jade and welcome to our forum.  It will be interesting to hear how your growing problems compare to ours, and there is always a lot of natter going on  :D  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Jade Storm

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2021, 14:49 »
I added my location, t'was a good idea. Thank you for all for the warm welcomes ^.^ I look forward to being here. It will be definitely be interesting to see how your crops differ from mine as well as your various methods. Hope I can learn from you.

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 48 queries.