Preserves on Parade

• 228 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Preserves on Parade
« Reply #120 on: August 31, 2017, 10:24 »
Any idea why the picture is upside down, I did one not long since & it was ok, plus when I tried to redo it, it duplicated itself?

If you are uploading from an iPhone, it quite often turns pictures round.  Not sure how you get round that.  From a pc or laptop, go to your pictures folder and click on the picture.  It opens it up in a window that gives you various tools to resize, turn it round and so on.  I copied your picture to mine and turned it round, then re-attached it to your post.  Sometimes they just load into your pictures folder on their sides or upside down and you have to correct them. 

If you end up with duplicate pictures or ones you didn't intend to attach, click on the modify button on your post and it will open it back up.  Underneath the text box, there is a bit which says Attachments and other options.  Click on that and it will list all your attachments.  Just click the little tick box next to the one you want to get rid of.  The box will clear and the picture will be gone  :)

snowdrops

« Reply #121 on: August 31, 2017, 12:10 »
Any idea why the picture is upside down, I did one not long since & it was ok, plus when I tried to redo it, it duplicated itself?

If you are uploading from an iPhone, it quite often turns pictures round.  Not sure how you get round that.  From a pc or laptop, go to your pictures folder and click on the picture.  It opens it up in a window that gives you various tools to resize, turn it round and so on.  I copied your picture to mine and turned it round, then re-attached it to your post.  Sometimes they just load into your pictures folder on their sides or upside down and you have to correct them. 

If you end up with duplicate pictures or ones you didn't intend to attach, click on the modify button on your post and it will open it back up.  Underneath the text box, there is a bit which says Attachments and other options.  Click on that and it will list all your attachments.  Just click the little tick box next to the one you want to get rid of.  The box will clear and the picture will be gone  :)

Thanks NS, I don think it's quite like that on an iPad though. The picture I selected was the right way up on my camera roll. As for the duplicate when I clicked on attachment when I tried to edit it, nothing showed up or again just now when following your attachments. It must be something with this site because it's not the same on another that I attach photos to. Maybe a switch needs turning on to do with iPads?😄
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #122 on: September 04, 2017, 18:04 »
Been dealing with some of the annual tomato mountain today:

- 2.5kg of largish toms are now reduced to paste, and filled 3 x 580ml jars

- 2.5 kg cherry tomatoes are oven-dried with garlic and oregano in olive oil (see pic)

- 2kg cherry tomatoes are chutney-ed

Made a goodly dent in the pile  :D
P1170802.JPG
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #123 on: September 05, 2017, 16:48 »
And today there is Apple, Sage & Garlic Jelly now in jars on my worktop. Not made this before but is does taste good, especially once it is cold as the sage flavour seems stronger then

snowdrops

« Reply #124 on: September 05, 2017, 18:10 »
And today there is Apple, Sage & Garlic Jelly now in jars on my worktop. Not made this before but is does taste good, especially once it is cold as the sage flavour seems stronger then

Hmm that sounds nice, was it cooking apples? I've got loads of eaters that need using up & some crab apples on the way

snowdrops

« Reply #125 on: September 05, 2017, 18:11 »

- 2.5 kg cherry tomatoes are oven-dried with garlic and oregano in olive oil (see pic)

They look good, are they water bathed?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #126 on: September 05, 2017, 19:07 »

Hmm that sounds nice, was it cooking apples? I've got loads of eaters that need using up & some crab apples on the way

No I used eating apples as we have Bramleys and they make a cloudy jelly. This is crystal clear with finely chopped sage through it and looks quite pretty. Any eating apples that stay in slices when cooked would do the same, and you can adjust the sugar accordingly. I added 400g for 600ml of juice, plus 100ml of white wine vinegar

Pescador

« Reply #127 on: September 06, 2017, 18:17 »
Following a very busy weekend at The Sawley Marina Autumn Market, it's now frantic brewing to get Hot Mango Chutney and Tomato & Chilli Sauce back in stock ready for the pre-Christmas surge.
20170906_175933.jpg
20170905_135535.jpg
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 18:18 by Pescador »
Every Pickle Helps!

Paul's Preserves and Pickles.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #128 on: September 06, 2017, 18:50 »

They look good, are they water bathed?

No. The ones in oil are kept in the fridge but the others all had pop-in lids that popped in very quickly. Sterile jars and lids all round of course. The tomato contents means they are acidic enough not to need a hot bath

snowdrops

« Reply #129 on: September 08, 2017, 08:11 »

No I used eating apples as we have Bramleys and they make a cloudy jelly. This is crystal clear with finely chopped sage through it and looks quite pretty. Any eating apples that stay in slices when cooked would do the same, and you can adjust the sugar accordingly. I added 400g for 600ml of juice, plus 100ml of white wine vinegar

Where did you add the garlic & how much please. I was gifted a huge bagful of crab apples yesterday so 6lbs are now in the jelly bag, I like the idea of the sage, do you crush the garlic & add it in as you boil with the sugar?

Pescador

« Reply #130 on: September 09, 2017, 16:12 »
Managed a 1st and 2nd at the local show
20170909_143627.jpg
20170909_143658 (1).jpg

snowdrops

« Reply #131 on: September 09, 2017, 19:47 »
Well done

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #132 on: September 09, 2017, 21:12 »
Congratulations Pescador  :)

snowdrops

« Reply #133 on: September 09, 2017, 21:23 »
I've spent most of the day in the kitchen, made 3 pints of crab apple juice in to mint jelly. 9 more lbs of apples prepared & cooked up, now dripping through the jelly bag. Still got 1.5 pints of crab apple juice, I might combine the 2, plans to make chilli jelly. How many chilli's per pint of juice? Also some of Sunnys sage & garlic jelly as well I think.Yesterday I made my mincemeat with another 1:1/2lbs of apples, this year I've used eating apples instead of cooking apples since I have been given so many, still abagful to use.
With the last of the crab apples I've filled 2 x 1.5 litre jars, 1 has been filled with gin & the other brandy & some sugar.
I still need to filter the elderflower gin I made earlier, does it normally go brown? It's the first year I've made it.
I've been offered some grapes, so hopefully will go & get them later in the week for grape jelly
IMG_0675.JPG
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 15:00 by snowdrops »

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #134 on: September 10, 2017, 12:37 »

Where did you add the garlic & how much please. I was gifted a huge bagful of crab apples yesterday so 6lbs are now in the jelly bag, I like the idea of the sage, do you crush the garlic & add it in as you boil with the sugar?

I cut a head in half and broke it up a bit before adding it to the apples when they were cooking. It all got strained out.  I also put a decent handful of sage in at this time too, plus some finely chopped leaves stirred in as the jelly was setting.
Forgive the dodgy writing and wonky labels... not a good day for hands  ::)
P1170806.JPG

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 54 queries.