Preserves on Parade

• 228 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Preserves on Parade
« Reply #165 on: August 16, 2018, 11:30 »
The jars have been accumulating on the dining room table this week, so this is them prior to a labelling and putting away session.

From the left - chilli flakes from Pot Black chillies dried last summer, peach chutney, pickled shallots, pickled beetroots, tomato chutney and a couple of works in progress, namely kraut and kimchi.  There are only small batches of these as I make kraut as and when I feel like eating some, plus the kimchi is a first try.

I also roasted a whole tray of plot garlic heads, squeezed out the pulp and froze it into ice cubes.  The cubes are great to have as an ingredient in the freezer.  They work wonders on everything from quick pasta sauces to soups and do deeply mysterious and wonderful things to a cheese sauce :D
IMG_2613.JPG
IMG_2615.JPG
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 11:31 by New shoot »

snowdrops

« Reply #166 on: August 16, 2018, 12:25 »
Very nice Newshoot, I like the idea of the frozen garlic, wish I’d done some of that as soon as I harvested my mystery garlic, would have saved it rotting in storage
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

snowdrops

« Reply #167 on: August 16, 2018, 12:27 »
180 degrees would be better Snowdrops!! ;)

Haha yes even better

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #168 on: September 08, 2018, 10:35 »
Yesterday's preserving foray ended with the production of 3 jars of piccalilli that I am very pleased with.  I had to buy a cauli, but it does include homegrown green cherry tomatoes, green beans, courgette and cucumber. 

The sauce was delicious.  I couldn't stop licking the spoon - after I had finished filling the jars I hasten to say :lol:
IMG_2629.JPG
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 10:37 by New shoot »

jaydig

« Reply #169 on: September 08, 2018, 13:17 »
Yesterday's preserving foray ended with the production of 3 jars of piccalilli that I am very pleased with.  I had to buy a cauli, but it does include homegrown green cherry tomatoes, green beans, courgette and cucumber. 

The sauce was delicious.  I couldn't stop licking the spoon - after I had finished filling the jars I hasten to say :lol:
My brother was saying that he loves piccalilli, but I don't have a clue how to make it.  Any chance of sharing your recipe - it looks very tasty?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #170 on: September 08, 2018, 15:33 »
Any chance of sharing your recipe - it looks very tasty?

It was Pam the Jam's recipe which is on the River Cottage website Jaydig.  It's very easy as well  :)

jaydig

« Reply #171 on: September 08, 2018, 16:19 »
Thanks for the info, New Shoot - I think my brother is going to get a treat :D

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #172 on: September 09, 2018, 09:26 »
Been very busy in the kitchen, with Spiced Pickled Pears, Lavender & Apple Jelly, Basil Pesto and lots of tomato things

Here are 5 jars of Tomato & Chilli Sauce, 4 of Orange Tomato Preserve (no oranges in it, used the Orange Banana and Golden Sunrise tomatoes) and 3 of Chuncky Tomato Ketchup

I'll say this quietly, but there are no tomatoes in bowls on the kitchen floor right now

Starting on the apples today....
P1200905.JPG
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 08:22 by sunshineband »
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #173 on: September 09, 2018, 10:01 »

I'll say this quietly, but there are no tomatoes in bowls on the kitchen floor right now

I have some spare if you like  :nowink:  :lol:  Off to plot in a bit so I fear another bag full is looming  :ohmy:

Lovely show of jars to show for your latest work though  :D

Pescador

« Reply #174 on: September 09, 2018, 16:46 »
A lovely brew of Plum source (AKA brown sauce with attitude!) safely in jars.
IMG_20180909_161628.jpg
Every Pickle Helps!

Paul's Preserves and Pickles.

snowdrops

« Reply #175 on: September 09, 2018, 20:39 »
Haha Sunny, I’m still inundated with them, used 4lbs to make a tomato chutney today. I’m really surprised how well they’re ripening in the conservatory,I didn’t expect them to, this soon. I thought we’d be overwhelmed with green tomato chutney.
Mind you I picked another 16lbs from the plot today, & 11lbs from the garden plants yesterday.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #176 on: September 10, 2018, 08:22 »
Thank you for the offers of tomato "top-ups" I have some more now!! I also have 2 very large bowlsful of sweet red peppers, so will be making something out of them this afternoon. I shall let you know ….

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #177 on: October 04, 2018, 11:47 »
Jars on the dining room table this week prior to labelling and putting away.

Green tomato chutney, quince jelly and pickled red cabbage.
IMG_2644.JPG

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #178 on: October 06, 2018, 21:04 »
I've just screwed the tops on 5 jars of Quince and Apple jam, it was going to be jelly but the straining bag broke, so I just put it all through the mouli to remove all the bits  ::)
I thought it was the easiest way out of a sticky situation  :lol:

All because - this afternoon, once the wind got up, there were lots of windfall apples under the communal trees, so picked up quite a few, and a neighbour said I could pick as many quince as I wanted because she'd used all she wanted. The quince trees really did have a very good harvest this year :)

Growster...

« Reply #179 on: October 07, 2018, 07:03 »
For some reason, I've developed a yearning for some sauerkraut... We can't buy it locally, so may have to wait until we go to 'the big town'...!

But hey, why not try to do some here? My cooking skills start with a lot of perfect preparation, and yesterday it was all ready for lunch, but I got the timing wrong on the pasta, burnt the bacon, forgot the parmesan and the upshot was just about OK, but making that cabbagy delicacy might make amends...

I'll discuss the issue with Mrs Growster later! Seeing all those jars and bottles just fires the soul - well done you ladies - but I won't hold my breath on any replication just yet...

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 54 queries.