Chilli's once more.

• 18 Replies

moggy

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.chilliupnorth.co.uk/
Chilli's once more.
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2008, 14:08 »
I did mine a couple of weeks ago they are now in plastic cups on thew windowsill.

i always tend to start them at the end of feb as it gives them plenty of time before they go in the greenhouse
It's Chilli up North.

Swee'pea

• Experienced Member
Chilli's once more.
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2008, 17:38 »
Quote from: "WG."
So does anyone back here in the UK keep their chile plants for more than one season?

had two growing on kitchen windowsill last year. Cut them back by half and they're now leafing up and beginning to flower so here goes year 2 :)

Fat Hen

Chilli's once more.
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2008, 18:23 »
Quote from: "WG."
So does anyone back here in the UK keep their chile plants for more than one season?

My overwintered Rocotos are doing fantastic, despite almost losing them in early jan to frost in unheated greenhouse.

All chillis are perenial, though some do overwinter better than others in our climate.  

Some plants it's not worth overwintering, for others such as Rocotos it's almost essential if you want a decent crop.  Baccatums also are said crop better in subsequent yrs.

Quote from: "grannieannie"
Aidy, you mentioned once I'm sure that some chillies cross pollinate. But I read somewhere that they don't, so my question is....

Do they or can they all cross pollinate? what are the chances if I grow them all in the same space (e.g. polytunnel), or should I grow them in different places? Like I've got 24ft long polytunnel and 2 greenhouses. Or if I divide them off somehow, can I grow them in the same place? I've got some really interesting looking ones from different people, and I'd like to keep them looking the same rather than as mongrels!!!

Chillis readily cross pollinate, if you want to keep the strain pure you'll need to isolate them.

That is excepting pubescent  (Rocotos), they will not cross pollinate except with exium or cardenasii varieties.

jb

• Experienced Member
Re: Chilli's once more.
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2009, 16:46 »
My lemon drops have all overwintered well despite over-vigorous pruning (down to 2-3" stumps). However 2 are now flowering vigorously despite  being much smaller (less than 12" high)than they were last year when they started flowering. Should I remove these flowers to allow more vegetative growth or just let them get on with it?

Also, sorry for going a little off-track, but can any rocoto growers advise on whether they need more light than other chillies? Mine (about 2 month old) are looking quite leggy and a little woeful even though they are on a south-facing windowsill where all my other chillies (habs, annuums and braz starfish) are growing really nice and compact. If not any advive on what I could be doing wrong with them?

xx
Chilli plants not flowering or growing chilli's?

Started by bb_odiham on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post September 19, 2008, 12:12
by gobs
xx
Sow chilli plants now for better/more chilli's next year?

Started by green_fingered_ash on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 10, 2009, 21:01
by sunshineband
xx
my chilli's

Started by samnorfolk on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post July 20, 2013, 04:41
by BabbyAnn
xx
Chilli out already

Started by BazTheGardener on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 12:10
by Poolcue

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 36 queries.