mushroom compost should i or should'nt i

• 11 Replies

davethespread

mushroom compost should i or should'nt i
« on: September 18, 2009, 08:32 »
i was toying with the idea of digging in some spent mushroom compost this year,but then read in an website somewhere that it holds no benefits whatsoever and is a waste of money.it said that being as it was of no use to the mushroom grower how could it be any use to us,and also it would be sprayed with chemicals so an organic gardener would not be organic after using the compost.has anybody used it and happy with the results please. :blink:
i dont suffer with insanity..........i enjoy every minute of it.

tode

Re: mushroom compost should i or should'nt i
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 08:55 »
Mushroom compost is great stuff. The only drawback, (maybe) is that the pH is quite high: it has lime in it from the casing layer ( a mix of peat and limestone sand, about 1  -  1.5 inches, which is spread on top of compost). When they chuck it out, it all gets mixed up.
But if your ground is a bit on the heavy side, it works wonders: you get the lime and the humus.
They have to throw it out, 'cos it would be impossible to separate the two, and anyway they never plant twice in same compost (like spuds ! )
And very often you get free mushrooms growing in the compost if you leave it in a pile.  :tongue2:
I wouldn't worry too much about it being treated (the mushrooms are for public sale), once its been dug in. (Unless you're 100% organic).
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 09:03 by tode »

Debz

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 09:21 »
My mum has got spent mushroom compost on several occasions and the garden always seems to benefit from an application of it.  I was not aware of the lime issue and her garden is fairly acidic for the rhodedendrons (sp ?) and azaleas. 

viettaclark

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 12:06 »
That's really interesting! I've been using mushroom compost everywhere and I assume the lime will be good to neutralise all the chicken poo in the beds!!!!??

tode

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 12:22 »
I don't think the lime is really a problem: just in special circumstances, maybe.

davethespread

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 14:12 »
thanks peeps.i have just sourced 3 year old horse manure as well,i can help myself for free,happy days.its well black and weed killer free.

tode

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 14:13 »
Some people have all the luck  ::)

davethespread

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 14:29 »
luck?i have been hobbling around on crutches since april.does that sound like luck to you does iiiit :lol:

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 16:49 »
I find it's really good for heavy soil like mine as the lime flocculates the clay particles and it opens up the soil structure. I've had 100 bags of the stuff this year and spread it on top of the borders and my veg raised beds. You wouldn't know as it has been taken down by worms. I've just had 2 ton of mixed peaty top soil with mushroom compost mixed in to top up my veg beds and, having also moved 4 ton of top soil earlier on this year, my arms are like Popeye's! :ohmy: :blush: :) :tongue2: :lol:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

tode

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 16:53 »
All you need to now Goosegirl iss fill all your beds with blackcurrants  ::)  :D

MOLUSC

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 22:10 »
I got 5 bags for £10.00 today after reading that mushroom compost is made up from a blend of wheat straw,chicken ,horse manure and that  it is also sterillized (no weeds) before a layer of peat / lime is added to the top.(this is then all mixed together, when spent)
The stuff i got, was very moist (moisture retentive) and looked and smelled more like manure than compost.
Although it was "spent" ,surely mushrooms can only take so much goodness from the "soil"

And thinking about it isnt ALL manure a "spent" product?

savbo

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2009, 07:55 »
I would have always been a supporter of mushroom compost and manure but yesterday a guy I know was saying he'd met a tree expert who wouldn't eat mushrooms cos of the antibiotics in the horse manure - and that dressing ground with manure kills the benficial microrhiza in the soil - apparently Kew don't use horse manure any more but just compost woodchip....

something else to worry about :wacko:

M

xx
Carrots in compost and last years mushroom compost or not ?

Started by Beetroot Queen on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 18, 2015, 08:29
by Steveharford
xx
mushroom compost?

Started by celtbhoy on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 08, 2009, 22:46
by RichardA
xx
Mushroom compost

Started by yanfoex on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post December 07, 2006, 18:53
by milkman
xx
Mushroom Compost

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 13, 2013, 14:32
by Beetroot queen

Page created in 0.365 seconds with 38 queries.