Red Mite preventative

• 7 Replies

nashie

Red Mite preventative
« on: February 12, 2010, 12:23 »
I suffered with red mite last year (well the chicken house did) does anyone know what I should now be doing to prevent it coming back this year?  Also my friend has a chicken that seems to be trying to lay its first egg and has been struggling for a couple of days !! what should she do?
Thanks
Nahsie
Heather

chasechicken

• Experienced Member
Re: Red Mite preventative
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 14:40 »
I'm afraid I can't help you with the laying question but regarding red mite I too got a bad load last year.  The first thing I've done post attack is seal the cracks, gaps and everything else inside the hen house with painters caulk.  This should stop a large number of them, although I found them hiding under the bedding too so just make sure you clean this regularly and move it around.  Not giving them somewhere to live is the best preventative I think.

I plan to start powdering the girls once the temperature starts to climb a bit and just keep my fingers crossed.

Good luck...

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 09:01 »
I use a household flea spray once a week all round the coop ... haven't been through a summer yet with my girls, but have heard it suggested/recommended by folk who've found it effective.
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

22fox

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 11:23 »
Sorry to hear that! iv e heard lime and water sprayed in the box helps? can anyone back that up?
I<3exbatts

alisonwo

• Experienced Member
  • Hubby with browny his favourite
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 21:43 »
I had a dreadful time with red mite last summer, we had a removable perch thingy in there of wood that had them on it, I baked it in the oven, I washed it in jeyes fluid, poultry shield and poured boiling water on it AND STILL could not get rid of them. In the end I burned the thing and made some new perches liberally coated with diatom, and sprayed the hen house inside and out must have been 4 times over a months period and so far have not seen them again.  I got rid of the internal nest boxes and use plastic buckets with straw in now, so if I get them again this summer will be easier to keep on top of - fingers crossed.  Trouble is the damn things are so small you can barely see them. 

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 21:48 »
I read in Poultry World mag last year that one chicken farmer makes a slurry of diatom and sprays it all round his chicken sheds.  Says it sticks much longer than just dusting it around.

Makes the coops look like something from Great Expectations, but hey ho, if it works.  I use Hemexsan, its' like diatom, only a bit cheaper

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 10:19 »
I've only had an attack a few years ago and used Poultry Shield to clear them although it did take a couple of applications and really thorough scub down of the house.

Ever since then I've used Red Mite Powder every week in the bedding and nest boxes when they get cleaned out and once a month I dust the birds as well. They got their house cleaned out today and their regular dusting - much to their disgust.  I don't think it will clear an infestation but the powder works for me as a preventative. 

eddy h

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 13:18 »
Have you tried going round the coop very carefully with a roofers blow torch ,it sounds scary but it works quite well,as long as you dont get carried away.Also helps to dry the house out after a good clean.

xx
Preventative medication

Started by Julie in Somerset on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 10, 2009, 20:24
by Julie in Somerset
xx
Preventative measures

Started by Charlie's Chickens on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 04, 2011, 15:00
by Charlie's Chickens
question
Preventative measures for Lice/Mites/Worming etc?

Started by Happy-Hound on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 12, 2010, 07:28
by Fisherman
xx
Ulti-mite red mite treatment

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 08:03
by ehs284

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 35 queries.