edible boundary

• 11 Replies

cbu183

edible boundary
« on: January 16, 2016, 09:01 »
Morning all
Just put my orders in while I'm waiting for the frost to melt so I can start digging :)
My new allotment is right by the gate, next to a housing estate, half a plot with no boundary marker, and in not the most salubrious area.  I want a boundary by the gate and down the side with my neighbour and it may as well be an edible one!  I just ordered a load of marigolds (for ground cover - plot's been abandoned for quite a while and digging up weed roots is taking me weeks).  I also ordered Black Lace Elderflower for a bit of vino but what else would you recommend?  I want an edible force field to keep people off, basically :)

Offwego

• Experienced Member
Re: edible boundary
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 09:13 »
Gooseberry? Raspberry? Plenty of thorns ect

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 09:23 »
Put up posts and wires (or a pallet fence ;)) and cover with Himalayan Giant Blackberries, or other very prickly berry. Some Tayberries are lethal  :nowink:
Sorted  :D

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 09:31 »
I understand what you are trying to do but it if it is edible to humans it might encourage unwelcome attention from those you are trying to keep out. How about edible for birds or the less recognisable edible varieties, or things that need cooking or preserving before they are edible, I.e sloes, interwoven with crab apples etc
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

cbu183

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 09:50 »
Great ideas - you know your onions you lot.  ::) The raspberry canes randomly all over the plot getting in the way could be moved, the sloe is definitely on my next shopping list and there actually is a blackberry - I can train it round from the boundary fence as its last chance of survival.  Thanks all!

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 09:57 »
If you are happy with a lot of hacking and digging suckers there is loads of choice  :ohmy: :nowink:. Also make sure it won't shade your patch. Elderberry, rowan, sloe, dog rose, wild rose, cornelian cherry, hawthorn, wild pear, sea buckthorn, japonica, berberis, cherry plum, wild cherry or you could go hybrid berry route loganberry, wineberry, tayberry etc.  :)

cbu183

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2016, 10:11 »
Thanks Norfolkgrey - just googled sea buckthorn and the medicinal benefits are amazing - it fixes nitrogen as well! And they are cheap - going to get myself a few of those.  :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2016, 10:51 »
I know this has already been suggested but I wanted to share our success story re boundaries.

We have a post and wire construction almost the whole length of our plot and it is covered with blackberries, tayberries and loganberries. Ours is five feet tall and most of our fruits are thorniest, but it does still do the job.

Remember though that it will fruit on both sides. We are lucky in that our plot neighbour does not mind me foraging from our bushes/canes but it is juts something to think about.

Each Autumn I cut out all the fruited canes and tie in the new growth ready for the following year. This stops it getting totally tangled and fruit gets plenty of light and air and ripens well.

Our boundary runs more or less North-South so there is not too much problem with shade for either us or our neighbour.

Good luck with yours, whatever you choose
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2016, 17:16 »
Nothing new to add on the plants - but the pity benches in the big gardening sheds are worth keeping an eye on. i've picked up a lot of sad-looking plants for very little money, when all they needed was a water.

Would you be able to swap cuttings with anyone?

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2016, 20:09 »
Sorry, just remembered another one for you. Japanese Bitter Orange  :)

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2016, 08:12 »
Also forgot hazelnuts and cobnuts.

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2016, 16:08 »
Thanks Norfolkgrey - just googled sea buckthorn and the medicinal benefits are amazing - it fixes nitrogen as well! And they are cheap - going to get myself a few of those.  :)

I'd be wary of sea buckthorn, it may be cheap for a reason!  Around here the council organises volunteers to clear it from the nature reserves on the sand dunes; it's invasive, thorny, and non-native. I've also seen it planted as a garden hedge, and its suckers are forever lifting and coming up through the adjacent pavement and even the road surface  in places. 

xx
Allotment Boundary planting

Started by jools68 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 05, 2016, 18:59
by jools68
xx
any ideas for plants for a small boundary ?

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 28, 2010, 12:03
by 1jim
xx
edible weeds

Started by sion01 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post April 06, 2011, 22:08
by Growster...
xx
edible flowers

Started by MarkG on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post March 21, 2008, 10:41
by weeeed

Page created in 0.327 seconds with 36 queries.