Clearing Nasturtians

• 13 Replies

rogertb

• Experienced Member
Clearing Nasturtians
« on: September 27, 2013, 08:01 »
Hi chaps .. I have a new bigger allotment which the previous owner very kindly cleared so I have no idea what condition it was in or what was growing, I have had a delivery of manure which I've spread and intend to leave over the winter (any advice about this very welcome) ... but also there seem to be a lot of, what I think are Nasturtians, growing everywhere, even up through the floor of the greenhouse and through the 'muck' (which I thought would suppress weeds !) ... any recommendations as to how to get rid of them please ... I'm pulling as often as I can (the weeds) but they are winning at the moment ...

Many thanks Roger
weed1.jpg
weed2.jpg

snowdrops

Re: Clearing Nasturtians
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 08:12 »
Yes,they're nasturtiums, I wouldn't bother weeding them out,when the frosts come they will die. Seeds will germinate next year but are a good flower to encourage bees,not something to get rid of in my opinion.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 08:18 »
And the leaves are delicious, buttery and peppery. Use young ones in salad instead of watercress rather than chucking them away. :)

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 08:29 »
Nasty-urtiums.........................AAAiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

I hate `em, stinky vermin attractors!

I will not have them in the garden and would definitely not put them in my mouth ! :lol: :lol:

Easy to weed out luckily. :)

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 09:31 »
Vermin attractors. Really?   I love them and decorate my allotment paths with n. Empress of India.  Gives the caterpillars something to eat too. Anything to distract them from the cabbages  :)

ptarmigan

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 09:42 »
Love nasturtiums.  They attract pollinators and hover flies - distract caterpillars - look lovely - die off when the firsts frosts happen and are easy to pull out if they end up in the wrong place. And then rot down nicely on the compost heap. What's not to like?

(Not that keen on the taste...).

JohnB47

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 10:00 »
Agree with most here, except the view about them being vermin attractors - surely you must be confusing them with something else 8doubles.  ???

I often grade plants/weeds on how deep their roots go - nasturtiums are not only pretty above ground (OK, that's personal preference) but their roots are fairly compact and near the surface - dead easy to dig up if you want to. Contrast that with bindweed, couch grass, dandelions, dock etc, all of which have roots designed to make them difficult to dig up. Also, nasturtium seeds are pretty big and easily identified (they're like little brains) so are easy to dispose of if you want.

No problem, in my view.

rogertb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 10:24 »
Thank you all for the excellent advice ... Roger

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 13:08 »
Hoe them out next year once they sprout a few are great but the can and do overtake everything and will seed everywhere , having said that as these have not gone to seed you may be ok
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 13:10 »
I love nasturniums - but they do keep coming back for ever and ever and ever... :lol:

Yana

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2013, 13:45 »
I've had them at the lottie for a few years and find they are ok as long as you don't let them go to seed. Having said that, the seeds are nice and like a caper ...... If you like that sort of thing.
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

8doubles

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2013, 16:42 »
Agree with most here, except the view about them being vermin attractors - surely you must be confusing them with something else 8doubles.  ???

I often grade plants/weeds on how deep their roots go - nasturtiums are not only pretty above ground (OK, that's personal preference) but their roots are fairly compact and near the surface - dead easy to dig up if you want to. Contrast that with bindweed, couch grass, dandelions, dock etc, all of which have roots designed to make them difficult to dig up. Also, nasturtium seeds are pretty big and easily identified (they're like little brains) so are easy to dispose of if you want.

No problem, in my view.

They can attract massive amounts of blackfly and aphid but IMHO they are welcome to it ! ;)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 16:45 by 8doubles »

Yana

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2013, 16:52 »

No problem, in my view.

They can attract massive amounts of blackfly and aphid but IMHO they are welcome to it ! ;)
That means the blackfly and aphids are leaving something else alone?  :D

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2013, 17:25 »
I had a load come up at the base of my climbing beans early on and yes they were covered in blackfly, but then I noticed I had loads of mature and baby ladybirds on them (I think they bred under them!) and they cleared up all the blackfly on the beans/courg and the nastur'ms. 

xx
clearing for compost

Started by Robin Redbreast on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 26, 2009, 19:06
by Trillium
xx
Clearing the Spuds

Started by slow_worm on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 18, 2007, 22:21
by Annie
xx
Clearing the plot

Started by Pep on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post November 21, 2010, 08:29
by Christine
xx
clearing ground

Started by vespaman on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post April 08, 2008, 21:09
by vespaman

Page created in 0.34 seconds with 37 queries.