Cauliflowers that can take sun

• 10 Replies

connie77

Cauliflowers that can take sun
« on: September 06, 2014, 15:08 »
Hi, I need advice please on Cauliflowers i can grow next year , that can take full sun on their  whites?  I tried tying leaves over the whites on the ones i grew this summer but, they all bolted on me,  so i wondered if there are any varieties that can take sun and not be prone to bolting? As the site i have is very open and gets full sun all day and wind as well, thanks Connie

m1ckz

Re: Cauliflowers that can take sun
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 15:58 »
wish i could find one as well

beesrus

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 18:32 »
I feel it's more a case of planting earlier or later to get around the problem. Most of the commercial caulis in Cornwall and Brittany are done and dusted before Summer really arrives.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 20:40 »
Welcome to the site  :D

No idea about the answer though - apart from knowing that caulis are notoriously fickle!  ;)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 20:55 »
Have to tried debris netting? It protects from the cabbage whites and provides shading.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 12:29 »
I've had a lot of success with Candid Charm F1.  However,since their first introduction seed seems to be becoming harder to find / sold by fewer outlets.  It grows "pointy" so that the leaves are covering the curd in normal growing. They all mature at the same time (which might not be the case with a non F1 variety, spreading the harvest) and Cauli's will "stand", when mature, for 14 days at most, so I sow about 6 (our reqiurement for a 14 day cooking period :) ) twice a month, raise them in 9cm pots, and plant out to get a succession, rather than having a whole row and most of them going to waste.  It does require that you are happy having a plot that looks like a patchwork quilt though, and I know there are growers more obsessional than me (you know who you are :D ) who like to see everything in nice rows (what happens when they start harvesting a few for the pot though? )

Olden-times we used to break off a leaf and cover the curd with that, as it got close to maturity, and I don't think that has anything to do with bolting, so more likely that was lack of moisture.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 12:30 by Kristen »

luke34

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 17:11 »
i remember my dad used to cut round the stem to slow the growth down .

Snoop

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 14:38 »
Olden-times we used to break off a leaf and cover the curd with that, as it got close to maturity, and I don't think that has anything to do with bolting, so more likely that was lack of moisture.

Breaking off leaves is still the usual practice in these parts. Might try Candid Charm. More Veg sell them, 18 seeds for a pound. That would suit me for a trial run. Thanks for the recommendation.

Out of interest, has anyone tried using the little caps used for blanching escarola lettuce as a way to keep cauli heads white? Picture shown here:

http://www.urbaplant.com/tienda/es/sombreros-para-blanquear-escarola/226-sombrero-para-escarola.html

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 14:57 »
Might try Candid Charm

I expect there are other pointy-head style Caulis to choose from ... Candid Charm is the only one [of that type] that I have grown, and I sow 6 seeds in a pot / tray, mostly get 100% germination, and then prick out and eventually plant out, so 18 seeds should get you 15 or more harvested Caulis if you go down that route [rather than sowing direct]

BussinSpain

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 16:28 »
I have some Spanish cauliflower seeds spare if you would like some.  They are called Alba.
Now what shall I do today?

Totty

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 19:07 »
Try one of the coloured ones. graffiti for example, has purple curds. The colour intensifies with sunlight. As do the green varieties.

Totty

xx
cauliflowers

Started by gypsy on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 16, 2014, 10:16
by gypsy
xx
Cauliflowers

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post December 23, 2007, 21:06
by Aunt Sally
xx
Cauliflowers

Started by Pep on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 04, 2009, 20:51
by Jay Dubya
xx
I need help with cauliflowers.

Started by mandycharlie on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post July 31, 2008, 21:09
by gobs

Page created in 0.293 seconds with 36 queries.