absolutely miserable

• 11 Replies

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
absolutely miserable
« on: November 02, 2010, 17:33 »
hi all, where im living winter is truly on its way, i have 4 very miserable chooks, bless them, at the moment as i type their run is just one big puddle, im letting them out in the big garden just purely so they're not standing in mud all the time, im off to get some wood chip to put in there this weekend.   Its done nothing but rain, and im sooooo wishing the girls would wipe their feet before going into the coop, i have it lovely and dry and clean for them and as soon as they go in there its minging again, im thinking its gonna be a long winter  :wacko: :wacko: nickyx
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 18:15 by noshed »
4 girlies,  Nessa, Pamela, Stacey and Tina

henamoured

• Experienced Member
Re: absoutley miserable
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 17:57 »
Could you make a 'doormat'? Maybe a large old baking tray or seed tray or something a bit deeper - fill it with hemcore or something else absorbant and position in front of the door so they have to walk through it to get in to the coop and wipe their feet.
Or maybe a tunnel - I think I read of someone else on here who'd done that.
I'm lucky in that regard in that I've got my coop under a big old fir tree for the winter that is more or less dry. Downside is I know there are about 10 pairs of wild birds that nest in the tree...
Poor chx, sometimes I feel like bringing them in to watch telly when it's really cold and raining. :D

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 18:01 »
I was looking in a catering catalogue yesterday and they have mats for cooks who stand on their feet all day. Just the thing for wet hen feet methinks. They are interlinking

I use Aubiose or hemcore etc so they have to walk through it to get to the coop by which time their feet are much drier. Quite a thick layer.  They will appreciate a dry area so covering part of their run over would make them happier

jinty1911

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 18:15 »
Mine are miserable as well.  We've had constant high winds and rain for days and as they have been broody lately have had to shut house, so they have been sheltering under it. At least its sitting on peagravel and on a slight slop so they arent getting flooded. It stopped raining for a while earlier on today and they were practising their flying technics in garden.  OH said it was hilarious watching them.  The upside of it is they get let into house earlier cos our clocks have done back (has anyone told them about it)?
Jinty

NormandyMary

Re: absolutely miserable
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 20:31 »
My 5 beauties started flying out of their run last week, so OH decided that we would let them free range again. They have been having the time of their lives, as we have around 1.5 acres, and believe me, they've tried to investigate it all.However, you would think that when it pees down with rain, they'd head for the wood barn for cover, but oh no, they just wallow in the muddy puddles and get covered. Bless their hearts!!!

orchardlady

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 21:23 »
I've also seen an old pallet used as a walk way to the hen house. It was washed off of poop and mud each week. It certainly helped the house stay a great deal cleaner and dryer.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 22:23 »
2 of our popholes have a pallet in front of them.  It does help a bit as by the time the hens have walked over them, a lot of the mud has come off the bottom of their feet.

I said to Brian perhaps we could get some astroturf runners.  He wasn't keen, but I thought they would be easy to hose off afterwards.

ehs284

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 08:17 »
We put down 20mm gravel from the builders merchants a few weeks ago and it seems to be working. It's expensive at nearly £30 a tonne but can be raked, hosed, is smooth on their feet, won't hide bacteria or pests and you only buy it once. They still have chippings and sand in the dry covered area in which they dig big (dangerous to humans) holes when the weather is bad.
Last year we used pallets which were fine for a while but became slippery and unsafe after a few months.

carolbriar

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 08:55 »
Nicky I would put down a foot bath at the entrance to the run - preferably a nice warm one with foot soak in it :wacko:  On a more serious note, our run is water logged as well.  We seem to have had so much rain the ground has become saturated.  I have made a shelter for the girls but they don't use it - they prefer to huddle under an area that has their food covered or stand in the rain looking miserable ::) 
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

helens-hens

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 13:43 »
Hi Nicky

It depends how big your run is etc but I was expecting a similar problem this winter so I got some cheap paving stones from B&Q which I put down to make a temporary 'patio'. I then place the house/run on top and am using easibed or similar as a bedding. It is relatively easy to keep clean and once a week or so you can remove all the bedding and then scrub & disinfect. It also has the advantage that it would be difficult for predators to dig their way in. Does your run have a cover?

All the best

Helen

Helen

Debsie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 16:02 »
I have wood chip which is quite deep, however it gets really wet and muddy where the girls dig so I am covering 2/3rds of the run this weekend and putting down yet more woodchip!!

Fisherman

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 05:34 »
If practical I would try and do what Debsie is proposing and cover part of your run in order to keep out the rain. Its also worth partially covering the sides as its surprising how much rain is blown into the run from the sides.

Its not always practical to do the above because of the size and design of the run. It may however be worth constructing a sheltered area within the run to provide your chickens with some cover from the rain. Pity they don't just go back in the coop during bad weather but that's chickens for you :D

xx
Miserable Hen

Started by wiggy on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 09, 2011, 22:19
by bantam novice
xx
Miserable chicken

Started by Carshay on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post October 31, 2010, 20:15
by bantam novice
xx
Feather pecking - Princess Laya's miserable

Started by susan - happy hens on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post December 18, 2009, 14:24
by Ice
xx
Oh My God - absolutely amazing

Started by dangolding on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post March 16, 2008, 23:11
by Dabhand

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 28 queries.