Bird Avian Flu Outbreak Information

• 233 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Bird Flu Press Release Today
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2016, 18:16 »
Personally I feel that DEFRA haven't exactly helped. If it hadn't been for the newsletter from John & Cara and one neighbour mentioning it to me, I wouldn't have known. DEFRA should be taking out full page ads in all newspapers as well as making official statements on all radio stations and TV channels at peek times

To be fair it has been on the news and in most newspapers, as well as being on all the poultry forums, so I think most people would have heard about it.

Disinformation on Facebook, is another matter entirely  >:(

Paul Plots

« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2016, 00:35 »
"Keepers of poultry and other captive birds are now required to keep their birds indoors, or take appropriate steps to keep them separate from wild birds"

I hope that people who keep other captive birds make the effort to protect their outdoor flights!

Budgie and foreign finch keepers are usually advised to cover all of the roof of outside flights to prevent contamination / infection  from wild birds. Droppings from wild birds can cause all sorts of problems without the added risk bird flu.

I wonder how a local free-range egg farmer is going to manage as all of his flock are out in the field with only small triangular shaped chicken coups. Hopefully he has been able to put the lot in a very large barn or two or three.  :(

It is a threat that really should be taken seriously. I'd hate to be responsible for allowing an outbreak and even more worried that it might jump to humans.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Flowerpower136

« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2016, 08:05 »
We were away when all this broke out so were frantically emailing instructions to our neighbour to not let the chooks out and to disinfect wellies.
Thankfully the chicken palace seems to comply with the requirements of the order. Fully enclosed in small gauge mesh, and a full roof of corrugated plastic. All I've had to do is sort out a footbath. 
Obviously the girls are less than impressed at having to stay in, though with the rain yesterday they were not too bothered. They don't do rain!
I've seen some very inventive solutions. Really good one was a big trampoline.  Makes a lovely big covered space. The owner had just wrapped the sides up and linked it via a tunnel to their coop.  Another lady was giving up her conservatory for temporary chicken accommodation!  Where there's a will there's always a way.

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2016, 10:27 »
It's not just covering runs though - the rule also outlines that we have to keep our boots clean.
We normally use a manky pair of shoes to go out into to garden, but they get worn at the door until we kick them off onto the tray.
We're buying a pair of wellies and putting them in a bucket outside the door.
The problem is that wild birds can poo the disease anywhere, so we have to avoid traipsing it into our houses.

This is where everyone who insists on shoes off at the door become vindicated :D
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 10:32 by andreadon »

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2016, 12:04 »
"Keepers of poultry and other captive birds are now required to keep their birds indoors, or take appropriate steps to keep them separate from wild birds"

I hope that people who keep other captive birds make the effort to protect their outdoor flights!

Budgie and foreign finch keepers are usually advised to cover all of the roof of outside flights to prevent contamination / infection  from wild birds. Droppings from wild birds can cause all sorts of problems without the added risk bird flu......

....It is a threat that really should be taken seriously. I'd hate to be responsible for allowing an outbreak and even more worried that it might jump to humans.

Easy to forget that poultry aren't the only kept bird. Pigeons and doves jumps to mind as well.

On transmission to humans, that's pretty unlikely thank goodness. If we were living with infected birds wandering around the house and exposed to a large viral load then the mutation that hits humans is likely but not so much risk for the way we keep them. It's a scary thought though.

Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2016, 13:36 »
Yes, I think it's unlikely to jump to humans, as there have been no human cases on the continent as far as I know.
However, it also talks about cats and dogs being carriers.

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2016, 13:40 »
We have just been to Pets at Home (dd lkes to look at the fish) , and although they have a section dedicated to poultry and one to wild birds, there are no signage or notices to tell about the quarantine nor any advice.

8doubles

« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2016, 14:20 »
Yes, I think it's unlikely to jump to humans, as there have been no human cases on the continent as far as I know.
However, it also talks about cats and dogs being carriers.

No chance of making cat owners keep their little darlings under control is there !

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2016, 14:45 »
Just for clarity, bird flu is spread bird to bird or by the droppings or other body fluids of an infected bird being transferred to an area used to keep captive birds.

Preventing contact between wild birds and captive birds and protecting the area the captive birds use from wild bird droppings are key. 

There is also a risk of bringing contaminated material into a run via shoes or hands or paws for that matter, so keep your chicken shoes\boots\wellies clean, your other pets out of the run and wash your hands before and after visiting your birds.  Most good poultry keepers are already on the guard against vermin, but they of course could also bring contamination into the run if they are about.

Just common sense rules on containment and hygiene  ;)

Mum2mj

« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2016, 18:13 »
Would debris netting be sufficient? We have a big metal walk in run and I'm worried if we tie tarp to it, it may damage the structure with the winds we get
Question you need to answer is - if a bird sat on the netting and pooped, would any of it get to your birds?

I covered everything with a huge tarp in the end, I was lucky it fit perfectly. I'm just hoping there aren't any strong winds  :unsure:

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2016, 23:54 »
Well done Mum2mj - thing is this is like insurance, you take it out hoping you don't use it.  This is costing the industry millions, so DEFRA wouldn't have brought it in without genuine, serious concerns.

What worries me is that, if the worst happens, I keep thinking about how the country was hit with foot & mouth. That was with farmers being really careful and no wild cows and sheep flying around to spread the disease.

Paul Plots

« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2016, 02:00 »
Disinfecting foot-wear?

I wonder if I ought to set-up a tray just inside the safety-door of my little aviary's outside flight. My birds rarely fly down to the outside flight floor level at this time of year and they are only ever fed inside.

The problem I would have is keeping a tray of disinfectant undiluted (by rain water) as the safety door area is uncovered and leads to the covered flight.

Something else to keep me awake at night... but nowhere near the worries poultry keepers have to deal with.  :(

Let's hope the problem doesn't last too long.

Flowerpower136

« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2016, 08:42 »
I have placed a bucket of Strong disinfectant (vanodine V18) next to the run door so that I can dunk and soak my booted feet before I go into the run. I place an upside down tubitrug over it to keep rain out, plus falling leaves or other debris.
If boots aren't cleaned there is a risk of taking contamination, i.e. Wildbird poo, into the run.
And that's all it would take if that poo came from an infected bird.
To minimise risk, only I am going in, and only when necessary, i.e. Not just for a chat.
It's so sad, but suddenly I'm feeling very different towards the wild birds in my garden and the migrating geese etc. I really don't want to see them.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2016, 08:52 »
That's a good idea Flowerpower.  My alternative for Paul is take the shoes you wear inside your aviary there with you in a plastic bag and swap footwear at the door, doing the same when you come out. 

As John says, its all insurance we hope we don't need.  I have fingers and toes crossed it passes us by as well, which is why I am more than happy to stick to the advice given. 

The effect on the farming industry, let alone our backyard birds and then the wild bird populations doesn't bear thinking about if a serious outbreak happens here  :(

Sassy

« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2016, 09:41 »
Well done Mum2mj - thing is this is like insurance, you take it out hoping you don't use it.  This is costing the industry millions, so DEFRA wouldn't have brought it in without genuine, serious concerns.

What worries me is that, if the worst happens, I keep thinking about how the country was hit with foot & mouth. That was with farmers being really careful and no wild cows and sheep flying around to spread the disease.

DEFRA did not cover themselves in glory during foot and mouth and were way too slow to contain it, hopefully they have learnt from this hence this current ruling.
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
New Bird Flu Outbreak

Started by grinling on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 08, 2017, 14:07
by Paul Plots
xx
bird flu outbreak in nth suffolk

Started by muntjac on The Hen House

68 Replies
Last post February 09, 2007, 14:04
by muntjac
xx
Bird Flu outbreak in SUFFOLK

Started by muntjac on The Hen House

54 Replies
Last post December 02, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
Avian TB

Started by agapanthus on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 16, 2007, 20:50
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 55 queries.