Housing and Laying advice for a novice

• 4 Replies

Gerty333

Housing and Laying advice for a novice
« on: March 16, 2011, 19:04 »
Hi All,
I'm new to the site and to having chickens but i'm loving it already!

i'm hoping you can advise me on two seperate issues i have (which may be linked).

I have two cross longhond/rhode island pullets (i think) they're fairly big in size anyway. I got them as a bridesmaids present from the bride and groom! i've had them for about 8 weeks and last week they laid their first eggs (pinkish white and fairly small). The next day i found two eaten eggs and the ladies eating them when i let them out in the morning. Since then we've had no eggs at all. My first question is: is this normal and do i need to worry about it? we did put a couple of fake eggs in as they were laying on the coop floor and sleeping in the nest box but they just slept on top of them!

My second and possibly connected question is to do with their coop and run, which i've realised is way too small. There's one nest box but i think its abit small because the hens can only half fit in it and then the door opens from the middle of the coop into the run (which i wondered if this is why they sleep in the nest box as it is dark and away from the door there).
I've seen a wooden childs playhouse which looks ideal as its large (I can get in it) and seems to be structurally better than half of the coops i've seen to buy and would mean i can adapt it to suit - is there any advice on if this is a good idea (ive read that it shouldn't be too big?) and what kinds of things I should add. I'm wondering if this is the reason that the chickens aren't laying as they don't feel safe?

All suggestions and advice welcome!
Thanks

Vecten

• Experienced Member
Re: Housing and Laying advice for a novice
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 19:36 »
Can you put up a photo of your coop? That way we can see whats happening.

Gerty333

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 20:56 »
I'll try to upload one- in the meantime this is the coop and run the entire thing is just 2mtrs including the housing bit http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CHICKEN-COOP-RUN-PEN-HEN-HOUSE-POULTRY-ARK-HOME-COUP-/280640697420?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Poultry&hash=item41577d344c#ht_4961wt_922

Casey76

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 07:28 »
Hi Gerty33, why don't you pop over to the welcome section a introduce yourself :)  We're all very friendly and don't bite  ;)

If this is the coop then it should plenty big for two chickens.

You should discourage the hens from sleeping in the nesting boxes.  Try blocking them off or filling them up with a shoebox or similar on an evening so they can't get in.  this will prevent the litter in the nest boxes from becoming soiled overnight.

The nesting box showin in the advert is very adequate for  a couple of pullets - you would be amazed into what kind of spaces a hen will go into to lay, given the chance!

If they are only just coming into lay, pullets often have a few glitches in the egg laying mechanics, which can mean small, or mis shapen eggs, and eggs with a soft or absent shell are not uncommon.  Soft or shell less eggs are very delicate, and will often break as they are layed.  As eggs are high in protein, and to deter predators hens will naturally clean up this mess.  Egg eating is not a problem unless the hen is actively pecking holes in normal eggs to get at the contents.

You say that you think the hens sleep in the nest boxes because it is dark and away from the door.  I just want to check that you are closing the coop door up on a night (sorry if this is stating the obvious!)  If, when you close up the coop, you see the hens in the nest box, you can gently shoo them out and then block off the boxes (pick out any poo at this point - it will save you from doing it in the morning).  At night, the hens will (generally) be docile, and should perch on the roosting bars naturally.

If you only have the singe section run (1m) then it is a bit small for two hens.  Though if you can purchase an extension (or build one) an extra 2 linear metres will be fine (if the run is a metre wide).

Good luck with your new chickens, and welcome to the henhouse :D

Gerty333

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 10:13 »
Hi,
Thank you - I'll head on over and take a look! Yes that's the coop but it's half that size with one small nestbox and 2roost perches, the run is 1.4m long and half a metro wide- I don't think it's big enough really. I do have a childs playhouse that's ripe conversion if they would benefit
From it? Then we could build a bigger run around it? I do shut them away everybody's and theyre alway in the nestbox!
Also is it normal for them to not lay for a week?
Thanks for the advice.
Gert

xx
Housing advice please

Started by mark12mr55 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post December 17, 2009, 19:54
by ehs284
xx
Wanting to get a few hens and need housing advice

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post December 05, 2006, 09:14
by John
xx
Housing Runner Ducks any advice?

Started by Foxy on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 08, 2008, 17:51
by Foxy
xx
More advice for novice please

Started by jaws on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post February 10, 2009, 18:06
by babe

Page created in 0.278 seconds with 35 queries.