It's not ideal but would do for short time
5 (71.4%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Would it be ok to......

• 6 Replies

Lottieluv

Would it be ok to......
« on: February 26, 2010, 09:02 »
I have a large double rabit hutch it has top and bottom and is 4 foot long by about 2 foot wide . And 4 foot high. .   Would it be ok to use as a chicken coop for 1 or 2 chickens ??? Bantems I was looking at . No more than 2 chickens any way .

My plans

As it has 2 floors use the upper floor as the nest box and use the lower floor for a few perches . . ??

It's fully warter proof and is in nearly new condison .

What do you think ?? Would it be ok ,??

Or should I just get a few 8 week old chicks I'm it and build a seprate coop and use the hutch as a chick area if the time comes ,,,,!!!!    

Any input would be taken with full input . Thanks

jonesblack

Re: Would it be ok to......
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 09:24 »
You may get your chickens sleeping in the nesting boxes as they will try to roost as high as they can leading to dirty eggs!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 09:29 »
It would do as an incubation/hospital house but I wouldn't keep two birds in there unless you were to extend it. This is giving you just 8 square feet of run space and the minimum is 1 square yard (although most of us recommend at least double that per bird). Does the upper deck have a fully enclosed area or is it meshed? Does it have room to put a perch and nest box in?
If you were to use it as a broody coup then the chicks may not be able to get up and down the ramp.
I would keep it just as a hospital ward - this way you are prepared.
Plese don't get just one hen as they are chatty social creatures and need company. Ideally get three and build a coup and run  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 09:40 »
It sounds plenty big enough for 3 hens roosting and laying purposes if you have a decent sized run attached with a covered area.

Hens do not need a lot of space at night and free ranging birds will often all cram into one coop leaving other coops empty.

Lottieluv

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 09:47 »
My run size is not 8. Feet ??? It's.  1/2 acre      Yeah I think il use it as hospital hut lol . Il get a 6/4 shed  and use that I think .   Kds just keep going on about chickens to be fair  I know where the comeing from but I don't like the idea of keeping them in my garden at home . Well things we do for kids lol

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 10:17 »
sorry but I thought you were going to use the lower section as the run  :)
A shed is far better to use as a coup, because chickens are very, very infectious - I started out with just 2 and now have over 20  :lol:
With a shed you can either put in external nest boxes - either make or buy, or even like I did and place large linbins on the floor for them to lay in  :). Removable perches are a good idea so you can clean thoroughly and check for red mite.
With 1/2 acre your chickens should be well happy (although mine have the same space but they still think it's not enough and wander off down the bridleway and into the farm fields  :lol:).
The rabbit hutch will make a good quarantine house  :D

Lottieluv

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 10:51 »
No I was going to remove floor divider and put 2 purches in and a nest box just mesured it the sizes is 3 foot  wide by 5 foot long . It's very big. What do you think ?? Or just leve it as a I'll hut ???   I used to keep 70 chickens just for the eggs but stopes with that about 2 years ago .  As they was not paying There keep. Over the year 50 eggs a day none over winter or maybe 4 if lucky plus all the vermex and all the other spices and stuff in the long run thy just were not paying for them selfs . 

Page created in 0.593 seconds with 45 queries.