Caulis

• 8 Replies

mumsy

Caulis
« on: June 25, 2007, 21:14 »
Hi everyone & thanks for your welcome, here comes one of those daft questions I said I would ask :?
We had our first cauli a couple of weeks ago,  it was lovely, round, white & delicious but I have noticed that alot of the rest have sprouted every which way & have gone a funny colour, where have I gone wrong :?:
Your help would be very much appreciated :!:
Regards a fustrated mumsy :roll:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Caulis
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 21:23 »
Hi Mumsy, I'm afraid I never have much luck with caulis, but just to let you know I thought this post looked better in Grow Your Own rather than the Welcome forum!!!  You've already been there!!!   :D  :D

mumsy

Caulis
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 21:31 »
Thank you grannieannie, I will work it out eventually!! :lol:

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Caulis
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 21:31 »
This year was the first time for Caulis, I was told not to bother as we have very sandy soil, well everyone one has been a good one, First off loads of muck went in, then I trampled the ground to try and compact it, gave it a general dressing and then finaly once the head started to form I kept the watering constant. It seems everyone that saw them was so impressed they are doing the same next year. Heres Muntjacs advice, he aint organic but I am sure you will get the gist.
http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=3598&highlight=cauliflowers
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

WG.

Re: Caulis
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 23:26 »
Quote from: "mumsy"
Hi everyone & thanks for your welcome, here comes one of those daft questions I said I would ask :?
We had our first cauli a couple of weeks ago,  it was lovely, round, white & delicious but I have noticed that alot of the rest have sprouted every which way & have gone a funny colour, where have I gone wrong :?:
Your help would be very much appreciated :!:
Regards a fustrated mumsy :roll:

Sounds like they have exceeded their Best Before date.  A cauliflower will not arrest development when it is ready - it keeps growing (with a view to finally producing seeds).  Basically, you have to cut them when they are ready & not necessarily when you are ready to eat them.

ytyynycefn

• http://www.ytyynycefn.com/5.html
Caulis
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 10:05 »
A couple of mine have got very small, tight heads - should I pick them now as and enjoy them as babies, or will they grow into bigger curds?

WG.

Caulis
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 10:36 »
Quote from: "ytyynycefn"
A couple of mine have got very small, tight heads - should I pick them now as and enjoy them as babies, or will they grow into bigger curds?
Keep an eye on them Mel - they may get a little bigger but as soon as curds start to untighten, then they have reached max size.

ytyynycefn

• http://www.ytyynycefn.com/5.html
Caulis
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 10:37 »
Will do, WG!  None of the others have got anything at all on show, other than lots of leaves.  I wonder why two decided to curd early?

WG.

Caulis
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 11:43 »
Quote from: "ytyynycefn"
I wonder why two decided to curd early?
Hard to say for sure but they'll do it under any less-than-perfect conditions.

xx
caulis

Started by ceri green on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 04, 2009, 22:14
by DD.
xx
caulis

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 09, 2007, 16:52
by corndolly
xx
caulis

Started by chrissie B on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post July 26, 2015, 13:05
by chrissie B
xx
Igloo caulis

Started by A. Fallowfield on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post April 21, 2011, 21:13
by A. Fallowfield

Page created in 0.304 seconds with 34 queries.