Tomato taste

• 27 Replies

Ice

• muck spreader
Re: Tomato taste
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2009, 00:18 »
Sungold, consistently good year after year.  Black cherry last year were amazing.  This year they are ordinary.  Moneymakers absolutely prolific but just succumbing to blight. 
Cheese makes everything better.

sclarke624

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2009, 00:34 »
Thats interesting about the BlackCherry Ice, as when I tasted mine wondered what  all the fuss was about.  These ones were so difficult to germinate as well.  My Moneymakers are bigguns this year and more than usual as well.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2009, 17:20 »
When i grew red alert on the allotment years ago it was a small plumish tomato with a pimple on the bottom, when i grew them again last year with T&M seeds they were little round toms...good yield but not the taste i remembered :(
The only place i could find selling the pointy ones is kings seeds see herepointy ones

T&M onesround ones

Which kind are you growing :unsure: :)

sclarke624

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2009, 22:47 »
Pointy or slightly elongated with a point at the bottom T&M ones, just as you described.  Maybe they mixed them up!!  One or two at the top of the plant looked more round, still tasted the same as the others though.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 23:26 by sclarke624 »

Paul Plots

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2009, 01:47 »
When i grew red alert on the allotment years ago it was a small plumish tomato with a pimple on the bottom, when i grew them again last year with T&M seeds they were little round toms...good yield but not the taste i remembered :(
The only place i could find selling the pointy ones is kings seeds see herepointy ones

T&M onesround ones

Which kind are you growing :unsure: :)

I remember them as having slight points on the bottom too - not grown them this year though.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

poppies

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2009, 10:53 »
was about to post on this subject now I have lots to choose from,

I planted gartenperle not impressed prolific but tasteless

Gardeningguru

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2009, 12:06 »

My St Pierre's are also doing very well after a stuttering start.  Great "sandwich" tomato that slices nicely with a not too sweet or sharp taste.

To the poster or to anyone else that may know.  Are these particularly fleshy, with few seeds? Mine appear to be almost seedless, with a very fleshy pulpy like quality.  Nice taste, just the texture seems strange.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2009, 15:02 »
When i grew red alert on the allotment years ago it was a small plumish tomato with a pimple on the bottom, when i grew them again last year with T&M seeds they were little round toms...good yield but not the taste i remembered

The variety shown on the packet and what is actually inside is potentially quite an interesting subject; the King's Seeds version of Red Alert in Mumofstigs link is clearly quite different from the T&M version.

The ones I have grown this year are the T&M version which on the packet are rounded, with some having a pimple on the bottom. The actual results are pretty much exactly as T&M suggest, as hopefully the attached thumbnail will show.

Whether these are the "true" Red Alert is another question; still good toms though! 
Red Alert 170809.JPG
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

adele

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2009, 18:24 »
Every year I grow t&m shirley and this I have also grown harlequin very nice and sweet. ........well what i manage to get before the family eats them!

lobot

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2009, 12:38 »
So far I've enjoyed Golden Sunrise the best.  They're lovely and sweet.

Tumbling Toms and Red Pear are also producing nice little tomatoes

I'll stick with these 3 next year.

8doubles

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2009, 15:47 »
If you are looking for a good plum tomato i recommend AMISH PASTE red plums. Very good flavour for salads or cooking and sauces. It is a fleshy tomato with very few seeds and grows to a good size the best this year weighing 280g (9.5oz) also a lot of cricket ball sized ones.

corynsboy

• Experienced Member
    • http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2009, 12:41 »
My Roma toms are the bush variety (bought them by mistake).  They set good large fruit very early.  I’ve got18 Plants all around three feet high.
I've picked some of the Roma fruit and ripened it on the kitchen window (see below) and it tasted pretty good.  Not too sweet.  Good flesh ratio, not too many seeds and the skin is not tough.  The real test comes when I start to cook them.

Sadly like many of us I'm fighting a battle with blight at present.  Luckily the Romas seem the most resistant.  I'm also growing Gardener’s delight and Money maker they have been infected by blight.  In many cases I've just got fruit hanging in branches with all the leaves removed as I'm running out of room to ripen the fruit at home.

I’ve got 54 plants (18 of each variety yes it’s a big plot) and over half this crop will be going straight to the council hot composter.  It’s such a shame.
Those Bambinos sound good.  They will be on my list for next season as will Bordeaux mixture!
Corynsboy's Blog

What's the difference between a good farmer and a bad farmer?  About a week.

Debz

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2009, 13:30 »
This year I have grown several varieties (mostly cherry fruits because that's what  I like in my packed lunch) in the greenhouse.  Like many other people's they are just starting to get red now and I am expecting a bit of a glut in the next few days.

Sweet Million.  Lots of little fruit, clue definately in the name.  Will have several of these next year

Tumbling Tom.  Grown in a basket.  Lots of little fruit but has taken a long time to go red.  Not as sweet as the one above but a lovely concentrated flavour

Suncherry.  More little red fruits, very shiny and taste beautiful

Golden Sunrise.  The only one I have grown that is not a "cherry" variety.  Not big fruits but very tasty and quite a good yield coming.  Wasn't going to grow this one again this year because last year I didn't get a single fruit but I am very glad I went against my instincts and gave it another shot.  It is quite a soft fruit but tasty.

xx
Disappointing tomato taste

Started by rhysdad on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post July 11, 2010, 12:03
by Kristen
xx
Tomato Taste Test

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 28, 2010, 14:25
by Lardman
xx
RHS tomato taste test results

Started by arugula on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post January 09, 2013, 21:39
by Lardman
xx
first taste of our own stuff

Started by 2peasinapod on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 19, 2009, 21:04
by AndyRVTR

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 35 queries.