When they get older...

• 6 Replies

sneezer

• Experienced Member
When they get older...
« on: March 02, 2012, 15:41 »
Do they need any extra vitamins etc? Lula who is nearly 4 and an ex-free range girl has started to pull the feathers from the bottom of one of the others, I have checked no lice or creepy things, and also she has some days where she is in an absolute foul mood, pecking every one including me, then the next day she is fine, she is with 3 new girls about 6 months now and they are fine together but she pecks at me more when the others jump on my shoulder or back,( she can't fly or jump very high)is she jeaulous or just getting a grumpy ol' girl?

compostqueen

Re: When they get older...
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 17:54 »
Maybe she's having trouble moulting.

You can give your girls poultry spice added to their food which is a completely natural herbal remedy (curry spices  :D) and you only need a tiny bit. It helps them over moults etc when they can get a bit depleted

Maybe she just wants extra fuss  :D

Are they all getting daily green veg?

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 06:55 »
They get poultry spice now and then, as for moulting we've had her for 2 years and she has had 3(i think) partial moults, she has lost feathers but never had any bald bits, they have a bag of spring greens a day between 4, I would love to give her cuddles because she is a lovely girl but she hates being stroked etc. She does get hand fed but even then she can't resist eating the corn and then a quick peck on your arm then back to the corn! :nowink:
Maybe she wanted to retire in peace but now she has 3 sprightly youngsters to keep in check! :D
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 07:27 by sneezer »

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 12:15 »
She probably sees herself as top of the pecking order so is just letting you know your place when you intrude.

That sounds like a lot of greens for 4 hens.  I would only give mine a little once or twice a week and the same with the corn.  The pellets they get are a balanced diet for them so other things are a treat.  If they freerange they will be getting plenty of bugs and greens to keep them occupied and not bored.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 07:08 »
They have a 30ft x 35ft area this used to be grass but now there is none which is why I give the greens,they eat most of these, I also let them into another area when I am about and this just about has grass which they scoff, should I cut down on the greens?
Thankyou for your replies

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 11:31 »
I would as I have had problems with soft shelled eggs when they get too many treats.  They are fine on just the layers pellets as they contain everything they need.  Treat other things like you would giving kids sweets.   ;) 

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 14:44 »
Thanks ANHBUC i thought greens were to be put there at all times if there was no grass, good news for me as they were costing me a fortune! :)

xx
As they get older...

Started by sneezer on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post November 17, 2010, 20:36
by jinty1911
xx
Older chickens .... what to do ?

Started by RobinL on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 04, 2014, 22:00
by grinling
xx
Older Chicks

Started by CluckyChicken on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post December 03, 2010, 21:59
by CluckyChicken
xx
feeding older hens

Started by azubah on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post April 03, 2011, 17:36
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 38 queries.